Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I'm Still Standing

I haven't forgotten you, I've just been a touch busy. I've been finishing up my Spring Clean, which still has Boy shaking me, demanding to know where his mum is and my friends asking subtle questions about my contraceptive use. I've also been getting to grips with my new job.

Many thanks must go to my Viking who took a huge bag of clothing to the charity shop for me. I'm pretty much done now, just got odd bits and pieces to do. My home doesn't look hugely different. I've got the new rugs and planters from IKEA, new potted plants (still living), my desk has boxes on it rather than random piles of paper and when you open the drawer there are more boxes with my shit neatly stuffed inside. I'm almost on top of my admin and have a neat list of arses to kick. My council for forgetting I'm a single-parent, my utilities company - for charging me a fortune for my electricity. I'm still not quite able to make sure we eat a sensible meal and doing a pack-up seems like climbing Mount Everest, but I suppose we're not suffering from rickets yet, so it's not all bad.

I know this housekeeping stuff must seem boring to you who reads my blogs waiting for the next installment of Retail Hell, but it's been a long time coming. I haven't had the inclination or the energy; now I've done it, I feel a real sense of accomplishment of making my flat, my home. It no longer feels like we've had to move back after a disaster. Home. Where the Cat is, where the Boy kills things on the XBox, where the Viking comes to visit to drink tea and make us laugh.

The job at the PCH is still a bit of a blur. I'm still working with the independent department store, a mere three feet from the perfumery department, so things haven't changed that much. I'm getting to know the other cosmetic house girls (the competition) a little better, they give me tips and hints. They've asked me how I feel about the move. To be honest, I'm not sure.

I get to try out loads of make-up and cosmetics, which I'm a totally loving. I get to chat to women, try to get them to spoil themselves a little. I'm learning where things go in the counter, and the paperwork that has to be done in the beginning of the day. I've been putting little bits of make-up on women which I found nerve wracking today, but I stuck with it. My boss is on holiday this week, so in actual fact I've only really had one complete day with her. The rest of the time, I've been on my own. I don't think I've done too badly. The products are absolutely stunning. I've finally got my moisturiser and it is just gorgeous, I'm going to have to keep working for them, just so I can keep myself in creams, lotions and potions. Selling the products is a bit more of an art, I'm learning when to ask open questions, when to ask closed ones. I've also got to get my head around the products and the science behind them. I've been trying out the different mascaras, foundations and eye-liners, with varying results. I do know I really love being a girlie, though I wish I could wear stylish footwear for work. I just can't wear the shoes the other girls do, my feet just can't cope with shoes that aren't sensible.

Anyway, this is just to let you know where I'm at. Nothing terribly exciting going on really. Just trying to find my centre and learning to live well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...