Sunday, August 12, 2007

Wedding Blitz

I spent the weekend in Cambridge at the Viking's cousin's wedding. To say I was a little bit nervous at meeting the rest of his clan, is like saying the sea is a little bit wet. The Viking and I have been together nearly 9 months which is a bit of a shock, considering it's been pain-free, fun and easy as Sunday morning and this was the first family event I'd been to. His immediate family are lovely and I really like his parents, I got to meet his older brother and fiancee this weekend as well as the whole clan. Boy was safely ensconced with his dad.

In a way, this wedding was a complete contrast to Alix's wedding. It was a civil ceremony, followed by photos on the grounds in the fabulous sunshine, with food served by serious waiting staff. The bride looked fabulous, the groom as if all his Christmases had come at once. The bridesmaids were gorgeous and ranged in age 2 - adult, in dresses that suited their colouring and looked fabulous. Unfortunately, I didn't take an evening outfit with me, so while everyone else got changed into more relaxed, groovy gear, I was still in my dress of the afternoon. But the Viking stayed in his suit to keep me company, only taking his jacket off to boogie with me. Not only that, but he earnt several brownie points for sorting out several clothes-related disasters with safety pins.

This morning we mooched around Cambridge. I'm not sure how good an impression I made on his brother as he caught me singing Dancing in the Streets in the corridors of our digs last night and singing C is for Cookie to the Viking in the middle of the Sunday market this morning.

All in all, it was a lovely weekend. A bit poignant, because next weekend Boy and I fly out to Trinidad again. We go to scatter Pop's ashes and sort out any remaining stuff. It seems really strange to be going out there, knowing this is the first time that my primary parents won't be there waiting for us. Truth be known, I've been trying not to think about it. Funny isn't it? How much ever you try and hide stuff, it always seems to seep out and bite you on the arse. But it's a time for families. And I've missed my brother and his family. It'll be good to see them and catch up on their news.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:15 pm

    The 'C is for Cookie' moment was oh-so sweet and funny. But no worries hon, they think you're fab.

    Nothing else to add that I haven't already said this weekend.

    Speak soon.

    Be safe m'dear.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...