Friday, August 10, 2007

Recovery Position

Today, I'm recovering from the Day From Hell. I'm sat here in my PJs, drinking coffee and painting my nails, which is an interesting experience when your hands shake as much as mine do at the moment. Coffee is my vice of choice this morning and having bright, sparkly red nails may not fix my current dilemmas, it will remind me that I'm a determined and sexy woman. Even if I do feel green around the edges.

Dear readers, I have many faults, quite a few vices, and have made many mistakes. I own them all. Some I try not to over indulge in, some I do not repeat, some I have overcome. Unfortunately, the one thing I have never been able to master is my inability to shut up. It meant I had to leave a proper job, it means I'm not good working in office politics, it means that I dislike game-playing, dishonesty and mind-fucks. I can see that there are circumstances where the ability to shut up would be useful, indeed desirable. I unfortunately, am unable to do so.

There are some advantages with this disability. It means that people always know where they stand with me and I am trustworthy. The disadvantages include being labelled a biatch and unemployment.

I realise that as I'm unable to overcome this heinous disability, I will need to grow a much thicker skin, perhaps I need to learn the ability to walk away sooner. I've even begun thinking of applying laziness to things I need to learn. Perhaps doing nothing is the way forward?

Hmmm...

One of the things which went wrong yesterday was work. My manager went for staff training and came back with the following diktats from on High.

Retail assistants on the shop floor must:
not wear jeans (fair enough)
chew gum (again no problem)
no bare midriffs (no chance of me showing mine off)
and no piercings (oh shit).

I have a small, round, flat nose stud. I have had it for the past 10 years and I don't take it out. Taking it in and out is not a brilliant idea. It stretches the skin around the piercing further, it introduces the increased possibility of infection and the possibility of it healing over leaving a scar. The other solutions I was given, was to wear a round, flesh coloured plaster over the piercing. I have very sensitive skin and plaster adhesive brings me out in a red rash. So no that's not an option.

I've really enjoyed working there. My colleagues are brilliant. The work is fun. The only real downside is that the money is shite. This new diktat has made me realise that it's time for me to start job hunting again. Which is a shame, I like the flexibility and variety of the work. But there you go.

Last night Gee came over and we had a long, long chat about life, the universe and everything. It was good to get a different perspective on things. Her advice was to ignore it and it will go away. My Boy and Viking have been giving me loads of support and cuddles, for which I'm very grateful. I think I'll ignore it and look for another job.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry you had a bad day. I have the same honesty problem - whilst being rather shy often prevents me from speaking my mind, I am unable to hide my dislike or disdain for things - it shows on my face and my body language even if I decide not to say anything. I'm rubbish at lying and playing office politics. The blatent two-faced-ness of most of my colleagues I find sickening.

    Hope you find something more suitable soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face - so to speak.

    The stud was there before the rule.
    What would happen if you just ignored it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your inability to shut up.

    You tell the truth. It's not nice to hear that sometimes, but you have no fear in doing so. And you do that because you care. It's easy to say what you don't think if you don't care. Takes more to say it if you do.

    You do that. Thank you :)

    Have you talked to them/him about the new directives?

    And besides, maybe you'll end up in somewhere equally great, but on better money :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:44 pm

    I like the kaz suggestion best...by all means have a quiet look round for other employment, but in the meantime do and say nothing at work...let them bring the ruling to you, not the other way round...must be a pretty discrete piercing anyway as I didn't notice it on your photo.

    Are they seriously banning the wearing of ear rings? If not, and other members of staff are continuing to wear them, then I'd guess you'd have a good case for unfair discrimination/dismissal if they took any action against you - after all, how does one facial piercing differ from another, unless they clearly specify in writing which they find unacceptable.

    Further to which, another relevant point...have they formally consulted before changing the terms and conditions of your employment? Have they informed you in writing they are doing so, and provided their reasons for so doing?

    Does the firm sell ear rings? If so, banning their use would look great in the local media wouldn't it?

    Need I add more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to be getting worse everywhere, we cant be indevidual anymore, why should a stud matter if you are doing a good job, its crazy..
    I would ignore it too and let them come to you.
    please keep your chin up roses, or find a firm (prefer their competitor) who will appreciate you for being good at your job.
    Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. sanddancer ~ like all things, the bad day passed and I'm enjoying my time with the Viking. Even if we are off to Cambridge for a family wedding. A right posh do, apparently.

    kaz ~ I think that's the most sensible thing to do at the moment. I'll just have to see how it goes.

    IM ~ it's lovely that you say that, unfortunately, it's clear that you're in the minority.

    I'm taking an open view about my future there.

    cogidubnus ~ two things. Firstly, I'm employed on an as and when basis. So my employment rights are nil. Secondly, I'm not going to fight for minimum wage employment there. Yes, I do like being there, but I'm not going to put myself through a load of stress for it. It just pissed me off.

    When I went for the job, I wore my stud. It's small and discreet and when I had a whinge, one of the other women on the counter said 'what piercing?'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:46 pm

    oh poo sounds like you had a really bad day - hope the viking and a glass of wine or 2 perked you up.

    I don't get this dress thing at all - I'm with Gee and Kaz just ignore it.

    I value your honesty, ballsy and no bullshit approach to life so please don't change - we need people like you to shake it up a bit...

    As for job hunting - if they want you to look and act like a drone, then it's not for you...go for it, good luck and here's a sprinkling of northern monkey good luck magic dust - I seem to be on a roll at the moment - brand new super job, found a nice new, crisp £20 note on the pavement yesterday...you can be my third good wish...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:08 pm

    Gosh, there's no such thing as an individual these days, is there? What rubbish. A nose stud is hardly going to bring perfume profits crashing down, is it? It's so small and discreet I hardly notice you wear it. I say b*llocks to them. There are plenty of other jobs where your awesome individuality will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...