Monday, August 20, 2007

Tropical Hellos

Greetings from the tropics. Boy and I survived the coach trip down from Norwich to Gatwick. We basically stayed up all day Friday, and believe it or not I was actually ready to go an hour before the taxi came to pick us up! We left Norwich at 1.40 am and I foolishly had vague hopes of being able to sleep on the coach. Hah! When you've got a man sawing logs right behind you and another making horsey noise on the other side, you've really got no hope.

Gatwick was filled with stroppy people pushing their luggage like they were offensive weapons. That was completely fine by me. I hadn't had any proper sleep for 24 hours so I was in the right frame of mind to make my way back and forth between coffee and checkin. Unfortunately, the security offical had to make up her tick boxes so we pretty much had to strip down to our undies before they let us through. What amazed me is that every 5 mins there's a security announcement telling passengers exactly what they can take through, there are people dressed in bright yellow t-shirts handing out plastic bags for stuff you can take onto the plane...and there are arguments in the security queues. They are huge wheelie-bins full of perfume, deoderants, toothpastes, moisturisers, lipsticks and drinks bottles.

I'm shocked by the fact that the flight was on time. Not only that, but it was relatively pleasant, some screaming babies, but not overly bothersome. The food was tasty, the coffee hot. The landings were fine (I gave them a 7.5, Boy thought it deserved an 8). I was able to negotiate an earlier flight for the island hopper, which really is a ropey arrangement. Again, that was fine, hardly any turbulence and brilliant views of the rainforests in the Northern Range of the Trinidad.

Not too bad a deal considering there's a hurricane stomping around the Caribean at the moment. A lovely fellow by the name of Dean, left about 7 people dead and at last count was a force 5. It's very unlikely he'll come visiting, Trinidad is just below the hurricane belt, Tobago is more likely to cop it if he heads south. I think he stomped over Jamaica yesterday. Hopefully, having spent his fury there he'll burn himself out in the Caribbean Sea.

As far as family stuff is concerned, not much to report. My brother is adamant there's nothing much to do at the moment. Until the will is probated, we can't really do anything and so all the work I was envisaging having to do, has just disappeared. So this has turned into a holidayWe scatter Pop's ashes on Saturday in the same area that my mum was scattered and there will be a few members of family and friends around. Think of us then.

Apart from the jet lag, we're really well. I'll try not to rub in the joy of being back in a hot, Tropical climate. I won't go on about walking into the garden and picking mangoes for breakfast, having fresh avocados from the tree, freshly made passion fruit juice, or the warm weather. Cause that would be cruel.

12 comments:

  1. Aye that would be cruel.

    Have a Mango for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:26 pm

    yes definitely cruel as I love avocados (I don't like mangoes so I'm not that bothered about that bit). Enjoy your holiday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the journey was a safe one for you both ...
    Been talking to mum in Tobago every day so im praying Dean misses it (she lives there)
    I hope you both have a great visit and enjoy a mango for me too..lol
    Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could have downsized your perfume collection at Gatwick.

    Have a nice time ... it's cold and wet in Norfolk today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous, and glad that you escaped Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ing - oh alright then. The sacrifice.

    NM - the avocado tree is dropping them quicker than we can eat them...

    BEG - Tobago looked fine when we flew into Crown Point. It was just a bit humid. I'll have another look when we fly out of there next week.

    murph - unfortunately, something awful happened in duty free... At the moment, it's just wet here.

    pj - well, the mossies make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you didn't go on about it.
    I think I saw the sun today.
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering who stopped by my blog from Trinidad and Tobago!

    How fabulous. Have a wonderful time.

    Mousie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. kaz - well, I do try not to go on too much. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts Saturday and Sunday, my legs are still lily white.

    mousie - yep, that was me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like the journey wen't well - a rarity, and you are having a fab time.
    Everything is running smooth at this end but you can't is amazingly fickle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope things are still good for you there :)

    Pssst...

    I couldn't help it. There I was wandering around town and they all had the signs out, all of them screaming, "Go oooon! Buy me! Buy meeee! You know you want to. G'waaaahhhnnnn!"

    ...Bought an XBox 360 ;) (Elite :D )

    Once I've figured it out, I'll have to give you and Boy any info, and I can find out how good you reeeally are ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:12 pm

    Mangos...avocados...jealous? Me? No, oh no....

    When do you make it back to the wet and windy UK, which is enjoying some sun finally (well, it would, school starts in about 5 days).

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...