Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Busman's Holiday

Very briefly, because my stomach is demanding more mango. Went to the mall yesterday with N and his wife H, looked at various things including perfume, I wanted to get sister-in-law something for being so lovely. Girl serving was pushing DKNY for me onto a gentleman who clearly didn't think it was up to much. After awhile I butted in and suggested he might like to try a Calvin Klein fragrance. He wanted it to hide the smell of his smoking habit and he need it to be a fairly robust and fresh fragrance. Of course I had to put in my tuppence worth.

Boy tells me afterwards as we're drifting off to sleep that I was showing off. I suspect he was right.

I'm going to work on keeping shtum.

5 comments:

  1. Well, I think it's natural that when we feel we know a lot about something, you have that combination effort of both wanting to help someone, and to show off a little at the same time to say, "Gosh, look how much I know!"

    I guess it's a case of figuring out:
    1. What good will saying something do?
    2. How will the other people involved feel? (And do you care?)
    3. How much is it just down to showing off?

    Personally, when I'm in Dixons or PC World or somewhere like that and I hear a shop assistant giving their version of advice, I most commonly tend to listen to the conversation while I'm within earshot with a wry smile upon my face ;)

    If they're talking to me and say something wrong (or if I feel they don't know as much as I do), it's a whoooole different kettle of fish though ;)

    I don't recall ever having been standing there when I heard someone say something REALLY wrong or stupid yet though, or it may be a different matter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still do it in the wierdy section in Waterstone's (nee Ottakar's) I point out the good books to people edging their way towards Silver Ravenwolf.
    For me its civic duty tinged with a little showing off, or possibly the otherway round

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still do it in the wierdy section in Waterstone's (nee Ottakar's) I point out the good books to people edging their way towards Silver Ravenwolf.
    For me its civic duty tinged with a little showing off, or possibly the otherway round

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:15 pm

    Honey, if what we see of you so far includes the "showing off" aspect, then just bring on some real ego...

    ReplyDelete
  5. After some thought, I realised that:

    a) I just can't help myself
    b) I was seeking attention from N; which is silly considering he isn't likely to be impressed by my knowledge of perfume
    c) I'm not alone. Alix says she's done similar things
    d) In the grand scheme of things, it matters little

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...