Thursday, May 10, 2007

Struggle

I had a long chat with someone yesterday, who had the unenviable task of reminding me I'm not Superwoman. We started off the conversation with me saying how stressed I feel, my body letting me know in no uncertain terms that it is actually stressed, despite my being chirpy la la la. I have a pile of laundry so high I can't see my bedroom window and the only reason I still have clean underwear is because I am a compulsive M&S 5-pack shopper. My garden which is my pride and joy, is a collection of pots with sticks. My flat desperately needs a skip and a shovel. Not to mention I'm trying to keep the wolf from the door and finish my degree. Yes. I do understand I have every right to be stressed.

But I just don't have TIME for it. I've got 3 poems to write between now and my last tutorial Tuesday, before my hand in next Friday. I've got another 1,000 words of a story to write and then I'm going to have to cut it by 500 words. My Journeying project is amazing. The images I've chosen are just stunning, but I'm not finished yet. The other artists and I need to get together and argue how we use the space allocated to us for our Degree Show. Then we'll have to prep the space, build partitions, plinths etc and then set things up. This with a bunch of people who don't particularly gel. Fun, fun, fun.

6 comments:

  1. Yes... I ran out of underwear on Wednesday. I thought I had a little longer... The number of clean socks had thrown me. I spent most of this evening washing up. Eugh.

    On the plus side, I don't have a garden, nor do I have a Boy, nor do I have to work both at a job and a degree.

    Gosh, that would be awful hard work.

    I don't think this is helping ;)

    Is there anything we CAN do to help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me whinge at you Monkfish. It helped a lot knowing you were there for me last night. Not one of my happy times.

    I've had a good night's sleep and it's onward and upward. Or at least it will be, as soon as I've had coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better today - stuff the housework for as long as possible though!

    I was going to do some creative writing module when I did my degree but I struggle with the 'writing on demand' so I don't envy you havig to write poems to a deadline. Shelley and Byron didn't have to write to a timetable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:56 pm

    Housework and gardening can wait (well that's always been my motto anyway!) and even though it's so stressful the end is in sight for the degree....and you're right your not superwoman but you are doign an amazing job holdign it all together and having come so far, so keep chucking back the coffee and do or not do whatever it takes to get you through the next week... it'll all be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:07 pm

    You are a superwoman but not in a "get everything done" way, more of a "amazing person full of kindness and generosity" way. And that's much better.

    On the work front, take a deep breath, have a biscuit and a coffee. Don't kill yourself over the work - it'll get done. Just divide it up into bits and have small goals for each day. It's how I'm getting through the shitness of my school and it works!

    Failing that, ring me and moan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are just the best. Thanks so much for being here for me.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...