Sunday, May 13, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Welcome to my new look blog. Blame it on Sanddancer. I have been happy with my blog and how it's looked since I set it up; and then I saw her changes. I thought, hmmm...so I had look in the templates, saw this and liked it much.

I have crawled out of my Pit of Despair and while I'm not exactly feeling on top form, I'm not curled up in the foetal position under my desk either. I've done my 3 poems and I might see if I can do a few more (it always pays to have extra). My prose is finished, but I'm still struggling with the ending. Lacks a bit of punch. At the moment I'm 600 words over my limit and I'm loathe to cut them, especially since I'll probably be adding to them a bit later today. It's all part of the craft. Editing has got to be the most tedious, but most necessary part of the process. As a writer, you have to be prepared to delete your most favourite bits of writing. Not for the faint hearted.

I realised that I hadn't appraised you on my work situation for some time now. I'm still working on a casual basis for the department store and still having fun. I find that selling perfumes and cosmetics is a frivolous and fun way to pay for my coffees and paninnis. The Great British Public are an endless sourse of amusement and material; and I must say I am very fond of them.

On Saturdays, the Perfumery dept discards the black and white uniform in favour of brightly coloured tops and lots of cleavage. Yesterday was a bit of an exception. In support of a local charity, they decided to host some activities which included a raffle, prize draw and the cosmetic houses were doing mini-makeovers. The regular girls were dressed in kaftans, I was dressed in pink. I had lots of fun acosting people and getting them to dip into their pockets for raffle tickets. I don't mean to boast, but towards the end of the day, my bucket was getting very heavy.

I did however, have an interesting encounter, with a very large lady. She had been asked to make a donation on one door and refused, and when she spotted me standing further in store, she pounced.

"Why do you feel it necessary to ask people for donations? I feel really uncomfortable saying 'no'. It put me in a really awkward position."

Whoa.

I explained what we were doing and why. It turns out the lady was also fundraising for the same organisation. At the end of the conversation, I still wasn't sure why she was so unhappy. People who take up a bucket, or leaflets, or samples, or any kind of traffic stopping work, expect rejection. It's nice when whoever approached is polite, or has a smile with the shake of the head; but that's the icing on the cake. The cake itself is people who just walk away, people who put their hand up in your face, people who ignore you. I wasn't worried about the rejection and I didn't think any worse of anyone who did. I myself don't support any particular charity on a regular basis, though I do voluntary work when I can. So I was a bit taken aback by this woman's discomfort.

However, this anecdote does have a happy ending. After quite a lengthy conversation and a few empathetic statements "I'm sorry you felt uncomfortable about saying 'no'", she dipped into her pockets and bought some raffle tickets.

6 comments:

  1. Ooo, I really like your new look.
    It's a bit scary to change, but it seems to have worked so well.
    Glad you've emerged from the pit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like the design, although it'll take a little getting used to with there being nothing on the right :)

    Since I chose my template nigh on thirty seven years ago (well, ish), I had an image in my head of how I'd like to change it, and I actually began working on that a week or two back :) So, expect mine to change in possibly as little as, ooh, six months? ;)

    I can sort of understand your "Why do you feel it necessary..." lady's reaction, but basically, it's 'cause if you don't ask, you don't get! Duhhh :)

    Poor woman. If she spends any time in town, she must be constantly about flat broke and have answered every survey from "Which chocolate tastes best?" to "What do you think of the new Gilette Ultramegatronicrazor".

    I also think that asking for donations is a lot better than some other methods.

    Someone at work mentioned he stayed in a hotel once, and they automatically added a pound to his bill.
    "What's that?" he asked, as he was about to sign for it.
    "Oh, that's for the charity we support."
    "I didn't agree to pay that!"
    "Oh no, it's entirely optional. You don't have to pay it."

    He saw a sign at some point. "We [The Whatnot Doodah Hotel] have donated £1,234,567 to our chosen charity so far!"
    "No," he thought, "You haven't your customers have."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, missed some sort of punctuation there after "You haven't" :) Probably a comma, or possibly a semi-colon :)

    I'm not sure on semi-colons :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We is be lovin' the new look, innit.

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. KAZ ~ I hadn't intended to, I just had a look at the templates and thought 'oooo...I like the look of that', the rest is history.

    Hmmm...same thing happed with the Viking. You'd have thought I'd have learnt by now.

    IM ~ Yeah, that was pretty much Boy's comment, he wants me to swap the sides round, but so far my attempts have been unsuccessful.

    That is a bit cheeky of the hotel. I'd ask for my pound back.

    Semi-colons are a longer pause than a comma, but shorter than a colon or a full-stop.

    ing ~ Aaaaaii. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found out this morning that we raised £282 pounds on Saturday.

    Not bad for a day's work I think.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...