Sunday, May 06, 2007

Good Intentions

It's no good. Over the last few months, I have ground to a physical halt. I have done no exercise except walking. Yes, I have put on weight, *mumbles* about half a stone. But it's not that which worries me so much. When I revert to Couch Potato, I find that my system becomes sluggish; my energy levels drop. Everything becomes so much of an effort. Rather than keep with this downward spiral of feeling physically bleugh, I've decided to take up an exercise regime again. Wish me luck. As I have the will power of spaghetti, I will be posting charts, targets, goals all over my flat to keep me motivated.

My regime will occur indoors, behind closed curtains, in the safety of my front room. I've got a good shelf-full of exercise DVDs, I have weights and an exercise mat. It's not that money is such an issue I can't join a gym, though the home exercise route is the cheaper option. It's just that I'm allergic to gyms. They are filled with skinny, fit people, with wide, toothy smiles. I once went to a gym for a course and in the changing room, while I was tying up my hair I saw this woman. Her work-out gear was smothered in labels and she was busy applying makeup before she exercised.

I will keep you informed on my progress with this lifestyle change. The biggest problem I envisage, is crawling out of bed at 6 am before work, to exercise. That may well be my downfall. But to my way of thinking, it's better to keep with the good intentions, than to not bother at all.

7 comments:

  1. Ooops, I came over to respond to the joyous 37 mood (see below) as I remembered the connection.

    All this is a bit depressing. Try eating low fat and wriggling about a lot - it worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:33 am

    Walking is good! Twenty minutes four times a week is supposed to be as good as an hour in the gym. Look at me - I walk 40 minutes briskly every morning and I'm about to fall down a plug hole.

    Wish I'd been there in the pub to celebrate the joy of 37. Because it sounds like 37 is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KAZ ~ Sorry, if my podgy mood put a dampener on things. I'm actually feeling quite upbeat. Unfortunately, low fat would make me slit wrists. I love mayonannaise, butter, double cream, fried breakfasts...oh yeah, that'll be the reason for the podgy.

    Gertie ~ You are disappearing before my very eyes. I am beginning to walk more (thanks to the nagging of the Viking), but it means getting hot and sweaty to work or college. I'd rather be hot and sweaty in private.

    Next year, when you've landed your fab teaching job in Norfolk, we'll celebrate my 38th together. That's a promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:46 pm

    You know I'll hold you to it - your 38th is going to amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:39 am

    I have amazing will power...five years ago I gave up smoking after 35 years of addiction ... cold turkey - no problem...

    So long as I ignore the four and a half stone I've added to my once super-slimline six foot and just over nine stone profile...

    Exercise? Chlorestrol worries? No thanks I think I'll have another pint or two, then turn in! See - amazing stuff this will power!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:34 pm

    oh i feel for you... I am about to start a similar regime (possibly too late) in a bid to not have my beer belly hanging over my bikini in an attractive fashion when I go on hols in early June.

    My will power is currently equally pants - I am distracted by as much as a sniff of a biscuit - maybe we should be good intentions buddies to encourage one another? (and celebrate with chocolate and glasses of naughtiness after we've done it)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gertie ~ the reservation has been made.

    cogidubnus ~ congrats on giving up smoking. I think anyone who manages to kick the habit needs a Big Up. Hottie, who works with drugs for a living, tells me it's easier to give up Heroin, than it is fags.

    NM ~ I will happily be your good intention buddy. At the moment, my regime is still good intentions, but I will get around to it once the stuff for my degree is in. Chocolate and naughtiness sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...