Friday, December 01, 2006

Survival of the Fittest

Today, that was me! After the horrid, horrid day yesterday, I sat down and had a long think, which also has gone into today. It's clear to me I can't continue with these levels of stress and anxiety. It's really bad for me, and what's bad for me is bad for Boy. I have a clear choice, either I brush up on my coping strategies, stop taking the job so seriously, or I jack it in and find something else. Now as difficult as I sometimes find it, the job is interesting and it pays well. Doing reception in some dull office, or selling insurance is going to be 10 times worse. I may have to do that when this contract runs out, but until it does, I can continue to reap the rewards.

Part of the reason I've been finding it hard going is that I don't like doing 999 calls. I don't like unpleasant things happening ~ it just does not compute in my middle class world. Recognising this block has meant that I've been able to relax a huge amount. Today, I had 2 suicidals and 2 999s and I just took them into my stride: they didn't get to wind me up. I was really positive with the callers and I'm really pleased with the way I dealt with them, previous mistakes were not repeated.

The farce which is the BA radiation alert continues. I found an article in The Guardian which covers some of the reasons why this week has been so stressfull. I'm sure you'll understand, getting a bashing in the media when I'm dealing with 'interesting' callers, does not help.

As a result, my energy levels are up and I've actually cooked something nutritious ~ chilli time*! And I've got some laundry on the go. If I'm not careful, I might even do some college work. Tomorrow, Boy is having his sleepover party. Think of me, hiding in my bedroom, earplugs firmly attached, glass of wine in one hand and a book in the other.

*chilli means a dollop of beer for the pot, the rest for me. Unfortunately, because I'm cooking for an army which is yet to camp out on my doorstep, I've had to top the beer up with something naughty! Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone.

3 comments:

  1. lol Roses :)

    You have left like a trail of naughtiness all over the place tonight :)

    Thanks for the link :)

    Hope you had a good evening and that both you and Boy have a good day tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:37 pm

    I think she has the top award for captions and for naughtiness ;~)

    "I don't like unpleasant things happening ~ it just does not compute in my middle class world"

    In what way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:39 pm

    IM ~ A trail of naughtiness? I suppose thats better than the trail of dirty laundry, or destruction that I usually leave behind.

    Dianne ~ Two awards I've won now! OMG I'm nearly successful! ;-)

    I suppose in my reality, people are to be nice to each other, respect and treat each other well. Unpleasantness like life threatening illnesses (heart attacks, cancer that sort of thing), muggings, any kind of abuse are just not welcome.

    Save your breath, I know 'real' life isn't like this and that's okay. I'm suscribing to the dippy hippy view that life is the reality you create. So my reality is royal blue, (not fluffy), with fairy lights in the shape of exotic flowers, with long stemmed white roses with deep red tips and Banrock sparkling red.

    Hmmm....I wonder why the men in white coats are knocking on my door this time of day?

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...