Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Procrastination Ponderings

I really liked this image from my 4th session, I'm getting into reflections. Unfortunately, with so many grey days and me in work from dark to dark, I haven't been able to do some journeys with camera. Bit of a bummer really. I will endevour to share more photos with you. Promise.

Saw my Super today. He liked my ideas, he nodded a lot. Ultimately, he wants to see something he can read....ooo like a chapter or two of my dissertation. Yeah right. It just isn't happening. Yesterday and today, I crashed, did some food shopping so we wouldn't starve and did my nurse impression for the Poorly One. He's better today, and I'm going to send him off to school tomorrow as I've got to go to work and he's beginning to get tetchy with the XBox.

At the moment, I have a big list of all the things I ought to have done by now.

  1. Dissertation
  2. Christmas cards
  3. Christmas shopping
  4. Christmas tree & decorations
  5. Poetry
  6. Prose
  7. Creative Practice
  8. Laundry
These are things that need to happen, preferably sooner than later. They merely sit and stare at me accusingly. These are not life-threatening procrastinations. I always procrastinate, the bigger the project, the longer the procrastination. I don't know why I do it, I just always work this way. Which is very frustrating. Considering I want to do an MA, which might mean more essays and another dissertation, I wonder what my subconscious is trying to tell me? I wonder if it's about fear of failure. Or whether I should just shrug my shoulders and go 'hey, I always work this way and manage to pull something decent together - relax'?

Answers on a postcard please.

2 comments:

  1. You've certainly got the capacity within you to continue on to an MA.

    But to avoid stress at a potentially stressful time of year it might be worth getting some groundwork on your dissertation going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not being funny or anything, but I should have done the groundwork by now. I am still thinking it through in my head. I'm going to be really cheeky and corner Alix and run through my ideas with her (she also teaches at the college). So, it is still in progress....

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...