Friday, December 29, 2006

Decisions Decisions

Yesterday, went reasonably well. I did lots of reading, watched the Motorcycle Diaries again, made notes and actually got as far as beginning my introduction. So it has been progress of a sort. I can't say I'm pleased with what I've done, because there isn't enough output, but it's a start.

You will have noticed the change in title. That stems from some news, which I was aware of just before Christmas but denial never works for too long. P, my step-father, is seriously ill. It is the dreaded 'C' word and today he is undergoing a biopsy to discover what flavour it is. My brother, Atlas, has asked that I fly back to Trinidad no later than the end of January. If it is the more aggressive form, then I will need to make travel arrangments in terms of days, rather than weeks. But at the moment, we are all acting on the assumption that Boy and I will be flying out later.

I have some decisions to make. Do I try to write my dissertation, get it out the way as soon as possible and try and complete my degree this year? Or do I just say, I have other things to think about at this time, and take a year out. Complete my degree next year? Last night I thought it would be better to take a year, this morning looking at my pile of books, I'm thinking I ought to press ahead. I don't know at this stage. I'm not going to be able to speak to my lecturers until next week Thursday and P's results wont be in until possibly Friday.

How am I otherwise? Well, I'm trying not to think about it. My mother died about 2 and a half years ago, so although I'm still fairly raw, I know the process. At this point, I've just slammed the door on the emotion and I'm focussing on creating my To Do List. Hopefully, I will be able to blog while I'm abroad, so you won't get rid of me that easy. The rest of it, we will see.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:27 pm

    Honey - it sounds harsh but you go back to Trinidad in time to spend no more than a reasonable period with your dad before he goes - then (resisting any familial blackmail) you come back with your boy and resume your studies - else you make a mockery of all the sacrifices your parents/step-parents made to get you where you are now...

    Believe me love, I'm a (probably little appreciated) step-parent as well as a parent, and I'd hope my step-kids would put serious self-improvement before sentimentality any day - it's the ego-trip all us step-parents really would die for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts cogidubnus. I do appreciate people taking time out of their busy lives to pop by.

    I think I've got a slightly different take on families, life & death and my studies, than you. I'm going back to spend some time with the man who was my parent since I was two. While I can take a year out of my degree, he can't take a year out of his final journey.

    It isn't a case of familial blackmail at all, far from it. Death is a momentous event and I think it's right and proper that it is marked with the respect it is due. I'm not capable of just picking up where I left off. Having the year off will mean I can improve my financial situation a bit and come back to the degree fresh and raring to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:31 pm

    Then go do what you need to do and god bless you for the love and consideration you show the man...we'll miss you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear your bad news. I lost my father two years ago and I would give anything to have been able to spend a bit more quality time with him. So I think you should do whatever you can to go out there to be with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that Sanddancer.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...