Sunday, December 10, 2006

Comforting Cholesterol

I was sat in KFC earlier in the week, having my 2 pieces of heart attack and a drink of toothrot, not thinking about anything in particular when I started taking notice of the people around me. I then started looking at the other fast food joints dotted around, especially McDonalds and Pizza Hut not too far from me.

Norwich has been in the past quite an insular city, the diversity message still has trouble getting through to some members of society, so much so, that it was once known as the last white city in England. I used to diversity training with NEAD which was quite scary when you start experiencing peoples' prejudices. Anyway, I digress. I have my favourite coffee oases and the clientelle is predominantly white, middle-class, very rarely do I see people of BME persuasion eating or drinking there, despite the diversity of the menues on offer.

In McDonalds, the people eating there were predominantly young, white teenagers with a love for Burberry, white velour track suits and heavy gold chains. Pizza Hut had more of a diverse age range with couples and families eating, again, predominantly white.

In KFC, there were representatives from all age groups and ethnicities. I sat behind a couple who by the sounds of their accents were French African and German. There was an Indian woman in a sari eating with her family. A grandmother gumming a drumstick, with her Burberry grandchildren. Several Chinese girls sitting together nattering and laughing together.

I know as a TNC, KFC is the spawn of the devil. It's deeply unhealthy, environmentally questionable, pays rubbish wages and according to some, does not even serve chicken, but genetic mass-produced freaks. However, here in this restaurant, in the midst of retail heaven, people from different economic, social and ethnic groups were meeting and eating together. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:41 pm

    Read "Fast Food Nation" and I promise you'll never eat fast food again. Even if some of the things in the book have improved or changed, or were always less questionable in Europe, it's bloody terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:53 am

    Inspector Monkfish ~ would you perform your magic on the link? :-x

    http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/books/schlosser.html

    Thanks for this Gertie. A woman has to have some vices and as none of mine are terribly exciting, I'm not sure I want to give this up just yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure :)

    Fast Food Nation

    lol, I thought much the same thing about not wanting to stop eating it just yet ;)

    I did this to the link btw:
    <a href="http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/books/schlosser.html">Fast Food Nation</a>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:21 pm

    I have few vices myself but phrases like this (in reference to US practices) turn my stomach... "Tyson Foods takes leftover chicken meat and skin and intestines from its poultry slaughterhouses, ships them to Tyson feed plants, adds them to chicken feed, and then provides teh feed to Tyson growers, so that baby chicks can eat their ancestors". Plus until recently cats and dogs were fed...cats and dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. IM ~ I'm sure I'm not going to remember that without stapeling it to my forehead, but thanks for the thought. (Plus, I quite like invoking you)

    Gertie ~ See I was right. Ignorance is bliss! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did my degree at UEA (finished just over 10 years ago now!) and the only people from BME groups I remember seeing were students. Its obviously become a bit more diverse since then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome Sanddancer, pull up a chair, have a cuppa.

    There is more of a diverse cultural flavour to Norwich these days. It is good to see and is good for Norwich.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...