Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Trick or Treat?

Did you spend last night dishing out sweets to little vampires and ghouls? I didn't. It was throwing it down here, I think the only thing out and about last night was the undines and they don't like sweet things.

I got my butt well and truly kicked on Monday by my tutors. I've got 2 months to prepare my Creative Practice, Poetry, Prose and Dissertation - help! I'm a procrastinator - get me out of here. The good news is I have a digital camera and it's nice and shiny. So, I'll be out and about taking pictures a bit later on. I hope to get some photos uploaded later on in the week, but I won't promise in case it all goes horribly wrong.

Yesterday, was Child Protection Training. NHSD gets a significant proportion of calls about and by children, and the service is committed to protecting children. I must admit, I was horrified by the statistics that were given to us, especially considering that it's likely to be the tip of the iceberg. If you have a chance, have a look at this. When people think about child abuse, the focus tends to be around sexual abuse. Apparently, this is on the decrease, but the other types of abuse: emotional, physical and neglect are on the increase. One to two children die a week in England and Wales because of abuse. When I think about statistics, i think 'ah, these are just numbers'. Actually, they are not, they have names: Victoria, James, Jenny, Peter...

Sorry, I didn't mean to come all heavy handed and righteous on you. Look, it's safe, I've put my soap-box away.

2 comments:

  1. Preicsely none! Maybe they're getting lazier these days. I even stocked up on sweets just in case (being knew to the area, I didn't know what the demand would be like). But.... None. Fine by me - more sweets for me! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stats for abuse can be arresting, they were when i started hearing stories from young people in my care. Every number a name. I hear uplifting stories where individuals in the community have taken one young person under their wing and mentored them. Most of us will get the chance to affect at least one young persons life in a positive way.

    That reminds me of a story...

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...