Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Chasing Rainbows/Funding

I need some advice. Up until now, I've been gearing up towards working my butt off for a First degree, so I can get funding, so I can go on to do the MA in Culture and Communication. The chances of getting a first are about 50/50. At the moment my average is in the upper 2.i bracket. I've dropped poetry on the advice that it's never going to be good enough to make a First, but I do love writing it.

Given that I'm also trying to work, run a household, look after my pre-teen; oh and have a life of my own, I'm beginning to think I don't have the energy. I think I'd just like to get the best degree I can and see what happens afterwards. After all, the Universe provides. And I am good at problem solving, I'm sure I could find a way to borrow the money to do the MA. Lots of students work and study at the same time at post-grad level.

What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Well, I've read that a couple of times throughout the day now, but I'm not actually sure what you think your choices are.

    What choices do you see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:52 am

    Welcome Inspector!

    I re-read my post and realised it's not one of my most coherent. Sorry.

    My choices:
    1. Drop poetry, work my butt off to get a First, funding etc.

    2. Pick up poetry, work on the the things I love, get ? degree, think about doing the MA.

    It's not earth shattering is it? I was thinking out loud. I suppose I'm just shifting my goals around, so that they're a bit more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ok, I could see the gist of what you were trying to say, and that it was "just" stuff going through your mind being written down :)

    So you see two routes. Where is your final "stop", or will you work it out when you get there?
    (Sorry if these are questions you have answered earlier in your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if you opt for "the best degree i can", you may get a first if you are averaging an upper second atm :~)

    ReplyDelete
  5. IM - Hope you don't mind the shortening, ummm...I was really focused to get a First, do the MA, become a lecturer. Yes it is probably in the blog somewhere, along with quite a lot of whining. (I'm really good at it; and self-pity). Personally, I'd give it a miss: I have.

    Dianne - It isn't inconceivable that'll I'll get a First, it's just that I'm more focused in The Now. I'm more aware of Time slipping away, and I want to savour this year.

    Does this make sense?

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...