Thursday, August 17, 2006

Muppet Moments

Today, has been an interesting mix of success and ranting, and a muppet moment I've got to share. I got my CV sorted and wrote my introductory letter, I've asked Alix if she wouldn't mind giving both a once over as she works in retail and I could do with the feedback before I start putting myself out there. Got an e-mail through about a writer's bursary that I knew G would be interested in. I intended just to drop it through the door, instead 3 hours of catching up later I head off to the library.

When I got back, she came around and looked over some writing I submitted last term. I desperately needed nitpick feedback. I was so frustrated. Last term, I wrote and wrote and worked really hard and I only ended up with a 2:1 for my efforts. Considering I had 2 tutorials and I was attending all of the class, and I was keeping my journal, I was pissed off. It didn't help much that the tutor's comments got lost in the post. So having G look over my work was just what I needed.

G is busy writing her own novel and is really good about taking pieces line by line and her feedback is excellent. She went through my pieces and her comments were just brilliant. I'm at the stage where I don't need my ego stroked, I need to know how to improve the piece of writing. I don't mind if someone shreds my work to bits, as long as it means the writing will be better, so be it. I am just so grateful that I have supportive friends and tutors routing for me. The general consensus is that my work is improving, so thank the Goddess, this heartache is worthwhile.

Anyway, I go to the College library, return my books. I look up the books my DS suggested. I try to find the first one. I can't find it. I check other shelves, other piles of books. I go ask for help. They can't find it either. I look for the second book. I can't find it. I check other shelves, other piles of books. I go ask for help. They can't find it either. The assistant says 'are you sure you don't have it?' He knows I have some books at home. He checks the computer. Oh yes. I have the wretched book sitting on my fecking bookshelf. I am such a muppet! Honestly. I apologised and apologised. Someone else I owe coffee. D'oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...