Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Incoherent with Excitement

Before I go any further, can I just say 'I love my tutors'! My Dissertation Supervisor and my Creative Practice tutor, like totally rock. Totally!

I had a few minutes with my Super and he was interested about my idea to research the power behind Journeying. He gave me a couple of references and basically said go away and read. He wasn't at all concerned that my original idea bore no resemblance whatsoever to this idea, he said it sounds plausible, especially if I tie it in with an interesting context like the Motorcycle Diaries. So as far as that is concerned, I have to get off my butt and start reading like mad. Tomorrow is Library Day!

After that positive meeting, I then trouped down to see my CP and then he completely blew me away. He was enthusiastic about the ideas I've been playing with. I've come away from the tutorial with a mass of references, photocopies, a video and a promise to help me try to secure funding for my travel costs for the next year. He said to stick with what I'm doing. I've got to stop being such a control freak and give the idea the room to grow and develop within its own space. He's given me the name of a French artist who works with everyday experiences and the video is about her. He said it was such a good idea to link the dissertation and studio work, as it means that I'll have an excellent basis for my studio work, and my studio work will add more creative drive to the dissertation. Oh, he also liked the idea of me getting in touch with Mike Carter of the Observer's Uneasy Rider series that I've been following.

It is so good, being able to have direction and support. I have been feeling so lost in the wilderness. But having both tutors back my ideas, and even better, be enthusiastic and engaged in my project has given me such a boost. I feel like I've been given a cape and tights and I'm flying off to pulverise that plummetting asteroid.

Next on today's To Do List: write two begging letters, work on CV, and write project proposal. I've found a charity that might be willing to help me meet the cost of my books and materials for my dissertation and my CP suggested I should write to the bus company to ask whether they would consider giving me free reign of their Norwich service. My mate down South also suggested that I might write to Norwich Prison to see if they have any pagan clients, who I perhaps could work with. All in all I have a lot of things to be getting on with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...