Monday, August 14, 2006

Lifting of the Fog

Somewhere between last night and this morning, the fog and darkness that has surrounded me for a month has lifted. It has given way to inspiration and energy, and oh boy does it feel good to be able to breathe freely again.

Tomorrow, I go to see my Creative Practice tutor and (I hope) my dissertation supervisor. I'm going to have to swap things around a bit. Journeying is taking such a cerebral route that I don't think I could find a way to convey it physically; it therefore makes sense to do a proper exploration as a dissertation. Which leaves me short of a Creative Practice project. I was writing an e-mail to my mate SW in Sri Lanka and my mind must have wandered because suddenly I had a Eureka moment. Somewhere in the depths of my subconsciouness little thoughts and ideas suddenly bumped into each other and there it was. Bang!

In my second term of Year 2, my prose submission was a monologue based on Gustav Klimt's Judith. Given that I really enjoyed the performance module last year, why don't I perform the monologue? How cool would that be?! It means I'd have to get to grips with lighting, sets, costume, props, camera work, not to mention being able to memorise an 8 page monologue. Oh and act it out.

I then started to think about what style to do it in. If I did it as an homage to Klimt, I would want to present it as a sumptuous, sensuous piece. Swathes of rich fabric, lots of bangles and jewelry, heavy on the khol. A bit like the character of Sybilla in Kingdom of Heaven. I'd also have the joy of finding out how to fake love-bites and scratches. Hmmm...I wonder who I could ask to help out? :-)

The other alternative would be to modernise the Judith myth. So that she would have to kill Holofernes the CEO. Costume would have to be PVC and leather, boots and suspenders (but not fish net stockings) the set would be an office. A bit Angelina Jolie from Mr and Mrs Smith. Both ideas would be fun. I can do most of the work myself, but I would need help with filming and the editing. Anyone free sometime during this and the early part of next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...