Thursday, July 27, 2006

Work in Progress

My apologies, I have let the blog slip this week. This was in fact a deliberate move on my part. I needed some time to think about where I was going with my project and what I wanted to achieve. Of course me, being me, it wasn't that straight forward. (Yes, I know the meaning of life is 42, but that doesn't help at this point).

Why are journeys so powerful? What is it about the act of travelling from one place to another that has the ability to promote change and growth? Why has this metaphor become so entrenched in the way that we perceive reality, so that it is used in everyday, creative writing and therapeutic language? David Byrne sang 'we're on the road to nowhere'. There is a rune, Raed, devoted to travel and growth. In the Tarot there is the Fool (0) who starts off on his journey towards enlightenment found in the World (XXI) card. We have the story arc, which describes the hero's journey. Why is journey such a powerful metaphor?

These are the questions I'm dwelling over at the moment and I have to say, I have very few answers, despite the two glasses of wine. Am I the only one who finds travel fascinating? Even commuting? I need some help here. Tell me your weird and wonderful travelling and commuting stories.

In case you wonder what I get up to on a Wednesday evening...these are some of the members of the Norwich Chant Collective out on a trip to the beach. This was before we got caught in the mother of all storms. Yes, I know. My bum looks HUGE in this. Me and the photographer have had words.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:53 am

    I know exactly what you mean about the metaphors asscoiated with journeys. I'm planning a big trip next year and don't anticipate coming back for quite a long time. Part of this is because there are things that I want to see and do before I'm too old/too poor, but I think partly it's about the challenge of being somewhere different. I do this now with my job, moving from place to place like a kind of nomad. Nowhere feels like home to me. I think I'm probably still trying to work out what that idea of "home" is. Someone quite seriously asked me what I was running away from the other day. It would take too long to explain.
    There is also the adventure of a journey. I was travelling with a group of friends on the train last night. They all knew where we were going and had done the journey hundreds of times before but I never had, so for me it was thrilling. I was like a small child with my nose pressed up against the glass even though we were in a tunnel and I couldn't see anything!. Journeys are what you make them.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...