Monday, July 31, 2006

Monday Moaning

No, not really. I haven't done anything much on journeying except I continue to follow Mike Carter and his trip round Europe on the his BMW bike. I am thinking of getting in touch with him, because what he's doing at the moment, ties in with what I'm trying to do. It would be interesting trying to add a touch of critical theory to his experience. He's also got a blog on the go but it's a bit like a ghost town. Not enough angst to compete with the other Observer Blogs. Had I the resources, I would do something similar. Anyone out there want to part with your hard earned cash, so I can go a-wandering? No. Didn't think so. Just thought I'd ask.

Yesterday, the Anonymous poster raised point. If you want to go somewhere, you have to leave where you are first. Yes, I know it's obvious. There's always then a feeling that where you are just isn't interesting enough, or maybe it's lacking a certain something. If there isn't enough to hold you in one place, is the grass really greener on the other side? And when you get home again, does it stay home?

I suppose if you're running away from something, the change of city, country, country won't allow you to escape. If you're running to something, I suspect the outcome will be different. Issues around relationships, self-image, self-esteem are very portable. But if the traveller is actively looking for something...that feels different to me. It feels more of an adventure, a curiousity that needs satisfaction. And let's be honest, it is possible to do both at the same time. One of the joys of being human, to embody paradox.

Today, I worked out again. Nell McAndrew's Peak Energy. Damn near killed me. It's harder than the one I normally do which is Maximum Impact. I think I'll go back to the easier one and build myself up slowly. I am determined, I will have a flat stomach.

One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...