Friday, July 14, 2006

Aching Bones

I'm knackered. What more can I say? When the alarm went off this morning, I realised that I haven't exercised in a long time...everything hurt. But got there in the end, despite the lies and damn lies told by the bus timetable. Had to put up gazebos again, doesn't bode well for any camping I might be tempted to do, there was much useage of colourful language, slippery guy ropes and earwigs. Eewww!

Today's festival was a bit more frenetic. I spent time in the shop tent, running for the workshoppers, chatting to kids and teachers, litter picking and dancing. I really like the other volunteers; and the kids and teachers were just great. Boy thought so too. To the point where he was just about rioting when I said he couldn't go with me today, he had to go to school. I think he forgave me when I told him he could keep his t-shirt.

More Bhangra dancing! Just fabulous. In case you don't know, Bhangra is a harvest-festival dance, done by farmers in the Punjab region in northern India. It's a man's dance and is very energetic. NEAD have been having the same troop come down from Birmingham for the last 7 years and they are a real hit with the kids (and adults). They do a traditional dance to get the show going and then do a more modern version at the end and then they make everyone do a very simple routine to finish the show. It gets the kids and teachers shaking their funky stuff, which is brilliant to see.

I think what I like about their performances is the fact that they are men dancing. Performing intricate as well as robust manoevres and they make it look effortless and very masculine. Men in England, dance generally, under the influence of alcohol, or duress. Finding a man who will dance for pleasure is like finding a four-leaf clover. It's almost as if they feel it's effeminate, which in fact it isn't. Dancing in any form, is physically demanding and requires good co-ordination, balance and a sense of rhythm. I think it's a real shame more English men don't dance, they should take it up, if only to improve their chances with the girls. A straight Englishman who can move well, won't be alone for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...