Thursday, July 13, 2006

On the Voluntary Trail

This has to be brief because it's late and I was up and functioning before 8am this morning. Rather than twiddle my thumbs over the summer, I thought I'd do something useful so I'm volunteering with NEAD again. Today and tomorrow are their Our World Festivals, where 1,500 to 2,000 kids hang out in a school playing field and listen to stories from Ghana and Scandanavia, try out Indian dance from Kerala and sing in Urdu, not to mention covering their playground in Rangoli patterns and watching performers from all over the world give it up large.

I'm a marshall, which means I get to wander around talk to kids and teachers, partake in the workshops and I had so much fun, when I got home this afternoon I informed boy we were going to do this evenings' event as well. Boy and I shook our stuff with an African storyteller teaching traditional dance and then we Bhangra danced like there was no tomorrow.

Of course there is a tomorrow, and I'm doing it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...