Thursday, June 22, 2006

Degree Show Drama

My apologies for not writing yesterday. I was in College and then out and about until late last night.

I called into to my CP tutor and he likes the concept of this Blog being part of my final show. He reminded me that the concept has to be given legs, and then I have to stand back to see if it will run. If it falls, that's not a failure. So, we'll see.

I spent a lot of time yesterday on various buses. I've got an annual bus pass which means that I can travel anywhere, on any bus within the city limits. I do get funny looks from the bus drivers sometimes, but generally, they're really good. My favourite service is the 25. It goes from the University round the city, through Riverside to the Railway Station. I don't know what it is about travelling, but it gives me space in my head to think; I also get to people watch if I'm inclined. I have my MP3 player going and I stare out of the window and think things to death.
At the moment, I'm trying to get to grips with a main character for my novel. He's a Bostonian academic, called Pierce and while I can feel the outside of him, I'm finding it difficult to get under his skin. Slightly frustrating because he will be my narrator.

When I had a car, I used to drive all over Norfolk, sometimes in the middle of the night. Music blaring away, keeping a lookout for wildlife. I love the Norfolk countryside. It's a subtle landscape that seduces you quietly and then one day, you find you are hopelessly in love, and can't remember when you fell. Each district has it's own feel to it and in the course of my 18 years here, I've lived and worked in 5. When I indulge in my lottery fantasies, I see a roomy house in South Norfolk, not too far from Norwich. It has a large garden with a river running at the bottom, with lots and lots of roses. If I let my son share, it turns into a small zoo, with merekats, dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds of prey and reptiles. I just see a very large poop scoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...