Friday, June 23, 2006

Finally Friday

Today will be a busy day. I'm in a meeting at ten and then on to college to invigilate Creative Writing's offering. As soon as I finish, I've got to get my butt home and clean the flat. She-who-is-hotter-than-Angelina, is coming with KFC tonight! It's hard to say who is more excited, me or my boy. I've promised to source some booze, so a trip to the offie is also needed before she arrives. It'll be an interesting weekend.

The weather has turned a touch cool, but it's still quite sunny. I am still a woman of mucus and goo and the past few weeks I've been grateful I just have the cat to look at me first thing in the morning. I'm a dead sexy sight. Wheezing and sneezing and itchy eyed! A wonderful man (all men who make me frothy coffees are wonderful), in a a local deli, suggested I ought to have a spoonful of local honey every day. As of yet, the only thing it's doing is sweetening my morning grapefruit. Perhaps it's one of those long-term things. Hopefully, it should calm down in the middle of July. Someone up there has an ironic sense of humour, an amateur gardener with hayfever!

I'm continuing to think about my work for next year. We spent last night wading through Aoen Flux, both the animated and movie versions. It brought home how uncool and unhip I am. I just didn't 'get' the animated version. Still have 2 dvds to go, I'm going to have to watch them on my own because my boy has been so well behaved and wonderful, I can't administer it as punishment.

Difficult to believe that in 6 months time, he will be 13. I cuddle him at every given opportunity. It's hard thinking that soon he won't want cuddles. Cuddles are the best part of being a parent I think. First there was a little bundle, squeaking and cacking; and now there's a boy nearly reaching my chin cuddling me back. He gets up first in the morning and acts as my alarm clock, though I'm usually awake when he comes in. He lies on the duvet next to me. Sometimes I just hold him and I come-to in silence, sometimes we start talking business about the day ahead. Sometimes we tickle each other and tease the cat. We certainly are a tactile and demonstrative family.

On Wednesday, it was the Summer Solstice and I had the opportunity to count my blessings. It was an easy list to make. My family, my friendships and my degree. Pretty much sums up my life at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:45 pm

    Hotter than Angelina - Surely you jest!

    On a more serious(?) note, why do you expect to feel anything but uncool and unhip at the sight of animations that were designed as quick, cheap fillers between music videos. Anyone who claims to see great depth in them is, at best, projecting on the vague and quickly changing imagery something from themselves, and at worst taking part in an agreement to disparage any outsiders uncool enough not to be amazed. The nearest thing I've seen myself would be the time I went to see Wagner's Ring and found myself surrounded by people who were, with a few exceptions, there to demonstrate to each other that they shared something the people outside the Opera House didn't have. At least the Aeon Flux animations are amusing and mildly pretty - which is more than you can say for Wagner.

    For the movie, it has been through the Hollywood blanderiser and ended up as a pleasant generic action movie with a few above average visual ideas. At least Charlize Theron is worth watching, with a useful supporting cast, including Gina Torres, one of the few actors around who can act and move at the same time.

    Have fun.

    B

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...