Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Ranting, ranting, ranting

I've decided to change things around. Normally, I put all my socio-political rants on Facebook and leave my blog clear for my personal and domestic stuff. Today, I'm going to swap. Last week, in the wake of the Paris bombings and the vile spewings on social media, I was in a deep funk.

I am an active Facebook user and occasional tweeter. I have friends from all over the world, in all walks of life. There are some who I disagree with their politics (big and little P), but we have a history of shared humour and personal support. I figure if they can ignore the fact I'm a dippy hippy, I can look past the fact they hold conservative views (big and little C - or Republicans, if they're in the States).

During the summer, the coverage of the refugee crisis was a bit of an eye-opener. People let rip on how they really felt. The vileness of it shocked me. I'm not going to repeat it, I'm sure you've seen it for yourself. It was on a scale that started with lack of compassion and went straight to racist hatred. It doesn't help when our UK PM David Cameron, described the refugees as "a swarm", it gives validation and legitimisation to the filth being spewed.

The thing is, the people I interact with on a daily basis are kind, considerate and loving. I don't see this vileness. I don't know where it comes from, I really don't. I genuinely believe in the inherent goodness of humanity. The kindness of strangers is why I'm still here and I don't say it for dramatic effect either. 

If you lived abroad and all you saw was the disdain, the casual racism, the anger and hatred, what would you think of that country and its people? If you knew that there were campaigns that actively encouraged further harm to vulnerable people, what would you do to protect your home, your family?

That last statement is why today, the UK Parliament is voting whether to bomb Syria and it's the same statement used to recruit and radicalise the terrorists. What does that then make us?

Let's not forget how previous military interventions have been such outstanding successes in stabilising the already volatile region. 

When the leadership of this country says that to be against the bombing is to be a terrorist sympathiser, it's time to be scared. Very scared. 

I have no love for the Conservative Party. I am the person they revile. I am a single parent, a woman of colour, a migrant and I am in the creative industries, not to mention my tattoos and piercings. 

There's a furore in the heart of the Conservative Party, a young activist committed suicide because of the bullying within the party. A few weeks ago, I landed on footage of Prime Minister's Question Time. The behaviour of the Conservative MPs when Jeremy Corbyn, the opposition leader, was speaking was at the very best appalling. MPs jeered, shouted insults and basically carried on like a bunch of hoodlums and bullies. 

These are the people who are life-altering decisions on behalf of the citizens of the UK. Decisions that have long ranging consequences. Whatever is to become of us?


3 comments:

  1. The personal abuse by both Tory MPs and Labour supporters against those who are honestly trying to make up their minds about bombing Syria is disgusting. Likewise the vile abuse directed at refugees. As you say, what on earth do people in other countries think about all this viciousness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we are supposed to be the good guys...

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:34 pm

    I want to chip in my five cents, but I must think about it and am too tired now. Something about values. And homegrown racism as we face it here, especially in the East of Germany, where it's really dark, no enlightenment in Saxony.
    Bombing may not be a solution, but an answer these barbarians may understand.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...