Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Fond Farewell to the Pink, Fluffy, Dressing Gown

Ladies and Gentlemen it is the end of an era. After much thought and a little bit of sadness, I have decided to retire the Pink, Fluffy Dressing Gown.
Drinking Coffee in the Pink, Fluffy Dressing Gown circa 2007

For many years, the Pink, Fluffy Dressing Gown has meant hours spent drinking coffee, indulging myself on social media, post-midday breakfasts, smoking outside in the middle of the night, recovering from the night before. The Pink, Fluffy Dressing Gown has become synonymous with idleness and time wasting. I remember ardently defending my right to be dressed only thus at 2 pm. The PFDG became a phenomena, an institutions. Had I been canny it could have had its own twitter feed and Facebook page. 

As Bob sang, times they are a changin'.


In the PFDG last year

I put the PFDG on a couple of days ago and it felt wrong. I was uncomfortable wearing it. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have outgrown it. I am no longer that lazy, layabout the PFDG used to know and love. I no longer while away my days, planning what to, eventually getting dressed and then perhaps doing something. 


In the PDFG earlier this year

My days now have two 5.45s in them. I actually have an active gym membership. I am working really hard to be strong and fit enough so I can go running and lift weights again. When I glance to my right, I've got a dead cup of green tea hanging out with my partially finished fruit, veg and protein smoothie. 

It's Sunday morning and I've already unpacked the dishwasher, put a load of laundry on, got myself clean, fed and out the house to get some house stuff. I would have left the house before 12 o'clock, but it was absolutely pissing it down outside and I really didn't need my new lampshades that much.

So raise your glasses and join me in wishing the Pink, Fluffy Dressing Gown well. Thanks for the memories. It was fun while it lasted.

18 comments:

  1. NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
    But I take your point.
    Sxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fraid so.

      A negligee might be a suitable replacement in the summer.

      Thanks for the idea, I will keep my eyes open.
      xxx

      Delete
  2. But what will you wear when it's downright chilly and you need something snuggly to throw on??? I have a fluffy blue dressing gown that I will only put on in the winter when it's -40 outside and then, only briefly, because I get much too warm too quickly in it.

    But I certainly understand the symbolism attached to your PFDG and that it no longer fits your lifestyle. I'm so proud of you for having made such positive changes in your life!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my (deeply unsexy) onesie that fits the bill. It's lovely and snuggly in the winter, but too hot right about now.

      It feels really good letting the PFDG go.

      :)

      Delete
  3. NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I am reeling and feel adrift. It was always somehow reassuring knowing that the PFDG was there.

    Perhaps some Pink Fluffy Bunny Slippers (PFBS) instead? Help, I need reassurance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to do this to you.

      I didn't mean to hurt you...
      xxx

      Delete
  4. As it appears that Ms Scarlet and LX have used up all the Os, I shall just hang my head in mourning at the end of this Era.


    But on the plus side: Yay for your constructive life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have pretty much. I hope their keyboards still work!

      And thanks very much. My constructive life feels good to me.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Yay! It's all about symbolism. I remember when you would cheerily brag about your date with the couch! You are in a new phase now and that old one is tired. Keep going and you'll get past this slight set back you are currently facing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being essentially indolent, I feel that I could give the PFDG a sutable home. Having said that, I doubt that it would do up round me and it certainly would not enhance the rufty tufty image that I try to portray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it would do much for your street cred at all Sir Bruin.

      Bears aren't known for their industrious ways, so your indolence comes as no surprise. xxx

      Delete
  7. Anonymous1:07 am

    Just testing the water ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I raise a glass of cold lemonade to cheer your decision and bid farewell the gown that you've outgrown, the pink cocoon where you slept, that you no longer need, for you have emerged newly transformed into a beautiful butterfly, and begin your amazing flights and reach new heights in your journey. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my lovely.

      You have a wonderful way with words.
      xxx

      Delete
  9. Cheers! ;) I totally understand the move! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...