Monday, August 01, 2011

The Joy of Speed

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have had the pleasure of being driven around the Norfolk countryside this weekend. As you know, one of my favourite things to do is to drive around the Norfolk countryside. I will do so just because. I love getting lost, taking back roads, going in the general direction of....Sat Navs are for whimps and cowards. The places I've discovered because I took a wrong turning: babbling fords, gorgeous water meadows, fields and fields of poppies. Beautiful moments in a countryside like no other. Generally speaking, I don't make a terribly good passenger. That changed this weekend.

On Friday, I was driven around in a bright yellow, MR2...at speed. And I loved it! Damn, I want to learn how to drive that well (that noise you heard, was the sound of me adding to my To Do List). There is something about the singing of a performance engine as you move at speed round a corner. Now, as you may have figured out by now, I am a bit of a control freak. The gentleman who drove me, races bikes, amongst other things; he knows what he's doing. Whether on a bike or behind the wheel of a car. He's probably the only man human being in my acquaintance currently, I would let drive the Funmobile. That says a lot.

On Sunday, I was driven around in a green Rover 10 at a glorious 10mph. We were in top gear. I loved it! The wind in our faces as we rattled around, on the road. This car is 83 years old and has been lovingly looked after by Z's Sage. We went down the drive, up the road to the church and came round again. It was glorious. British engineering at it's finest. Nothing that can't be fixed with WD40, duct tape and a hammer.

As I missed The Wall Party (*sniff*) because I was in London being NLPd, when I got a whiff that there might be more party action at Casa del Z, I dropped a hint that Z was far too ladylike to deny. I finally got to meet Z's fabulous children and grandchildren, who are far cuter than described. How Z doesn't burst with maternal pride, I don't know.

And by the way, should you ever have the opportunity to go to a party hosted by Z, accept. Cancel any other arrangements happening on the day. You will not regret it; she and the Sage are marvellous hosts who know some truly fascinating people, not to mention have fantastic kids. Oh...and also...wear drawstring trousers.

9 comments:

  1. "He's probably the only   ̶m̶a̶n̶   human being in my acquaintance currently, I would let drive the Funmobile."

    Crushed. But probably just as well since I've never driven on the left-hand side of the road before! Well, unless you would find that exhilarating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lax ~ sweetie, don't take offence. I wouldn't even let the Viking drive my Pride and Joy...and he's a police man with advanced driving qualifications.

    And no...that's not the kind of experience I'd be looking for in my car. Sorry honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could I aspire to perhaps ride as a passenger some day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. lax ~ don't be silly. Of course you're welcome to be a passenger. I'll very happily get lost in Norfolk with you.

    I know how to show a guy a good time. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:34 pm

    Hm, would braces do too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. marvelous - this makes me nostalgic for Norfolk and in just over a week I'll be back in Norwich drinking copious amounts with friends in the Golden Triangle

    ReplyDelete
  7. mago ~ braces would do fine. Anything that allows your waistline to expand comfortably.

    David ~ I live in the Golden Triangle! Just down the road from the Mad Moose. Drop me an e-mail and we can grab a pint!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You Hoon! 10 mph... your friend should have their licence revoked for cruelty to old cars!

    No... Really... both tours sound delightful Roses.

    I too travel sans GPS. Those contraptions seem to get more people lost than found. What ever happened to watching where you are going or just relaxing and letting the road take you? Eventually you end up somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  9. princess ~ I had to google 'hoon'. Yeah, I reckon it's an acurate description of me.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...