Monday, October 08, 2007

Butt-in-Gear-Time

Last week was a bit of a low point for me. The day I started proper and regular employment I came down with Boy's cold, whose generosity knows no bounds. It was a real stinker and of the three days I was supposed to do last week, I did one. I tried to go into college. I did manage to enrol and did the tour, given that there have been so many changes within NSAD, I'm glad I stuck it out for that part of the day, but couldn't manage any more than that. Unfortunately, I met up with my other students. Put it like this, we've got the Head of Media Studies of a local college, a Graphic Design graduate, an Art History Graduate...and me. I came home feeling rubbish, coughing like a smoker and nearly gave in to major Self-Pity Gnome. As it is I gave him a cuppa and a bickie (don't tell Viking, he'll be cross if there are no biscuits when he next comes over). Rationally, I know that I would not have been accepted onto the course if the tutors thought I didn't have a clue or had no talent. But it still scared the shit out of me.

Viking is oop North and Boy went off to Wells-Next-Sea for his dad-time. I basically did nothing Friday and Saturday. I ate when hungry, read, played Oblivion quite a bit. On Sunday, I got up and without intending to sorted out two rubbish bags full of paperwork which had been accumulating for the last 18 months time. Not only that, I ended up doing some laundry, tidying up my bedroom, my desk and upgrading the software on my phone which I've been meaning to do for the last 6 months.

Today, I had a lovely couple of hours with Gee. Kept her company while she painted and I looked at Home and Gardens. We bounced some ideas about doing the flat up and dreamed of World Domination while consuming vats of coffee and tea. Eventually, we headed out and I bought some meat and veg for dinner. This afternoon I've managed to make some Thai Green Curry chicken, as well as attempting a Caribbean stewed chicken. This will be some of the first real meals I've cooked for ages, which is shocking considering how much I like good food. I think I'm lucky I don't have some social worker banging on my door trying to Super Nanny me.

So, Boy and I will eat well this week. I've got a weekend off, which is great, our first weekend together since...Trinidad. Hopefully, the weather will be good enough for us to go out and about with our cameras. I think it's about time we took some fresh air.

I suppose I just didn't realise how run down and knackered I was to let things get so out of hand. But there is no point berating myself further, Boy doesn't have scurvy or rickets, and he has been going to school in clean clothes, so I've not been completely negligent.

And besides, when you're rock bottom, the only way is up.

7 comments:

  1. Clearly your body and mind were telling you how much they needed time out...and since taking it, you're returning fresh to the fray...

    None of us are superheroes who can carry the load forever, and we all need to ease up once in a while...you're fortunate it came before the course got started, so you got a good one-off chance to charge the batteries...

    I'd pit you against some "media studies" guru any time...at least you usually live with at least one foot in the real world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you manage so remarkably well roses, you are always on the go and still find time for your friends on here.
    Im sure Boy is really proud of his mum, like we all are.
    You need to rest up and have some 'you' time so you feel totally well and rested up..
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. cogidubnus ~ yeah, you're right I clearly needed the time out. But with so much to do around the flat, crashing and burning for weeks is a bit self-indulgent (and not in a good way).

    B*E*G ~ you're so lovely and supportive. Thank you honey. I think somehow this year I've had two speeds: frantic or manic. I think it just takes a toll.

    Given the pace of your life and everything that you've managed to do recently, I'm sure you're due a holiday soon. I'll come carry your bags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment on my blog, and of course it's ok to add a link.
    Take care, and hope this week is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:40 am

    If things are a little hard at the moment, it is because you are going UP. Far better than going DOWNhill.
    We're with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Roses! Sometimes you need to sit back and recover before being able to face the next challenge.

    You've been non-stop for months now, even when you were "relaxing".

    Glad you feel more like your old self and in arse-kicking mode.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. claire ~ no worries hon, I will add the link this evening before I sign off.

    dickiebo ~ hi there. It felt like Mount Snowdon today. But with half a bar of 80% chocolate, I'm sure I can climb it.

    hottie ~ no arse kicking today, maybe tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...