Thursday, September 13, 2007

Dear Sir...

I'd like to begin by voicing my appreciation of your support during my lean years. Lacking a trampoline, I practice my bouncing on my overdraft, it's useful exercise and ultimately gives the girls in your letter sweatshop something to do. After all, printing off standard snotty letters to me, must be the highlight of their day. Many thanks for the credit card, for every time I pay it off and it spends a month lonely and pining in my drawer, it comes out and plays with me at least 20 times. Thanks to it's company, I can pay my fees for another 2 years of study. Although my credit limit is indeed scary and more than the cost of a brand new car, I treat it with the same respect as an over-ripe banana.

Today, at work I received training for Miller Harris fragrances. Please sir, I know you are a busy man, but bear with me, the point is this: I would like to beg, borrow or steal a small fortune so that I can purchase for my ownsome these amazing perfumes. Lyn Harris, their creator is the only female classicly trained 'nose' in Britain. She spent 5 years training in Grasse, France, the capital of perfume. Now based in London she creates her fragrances out of moments of pleasure and bottles them for her delighted customers. These are not chavvy perfumes, nor are they mass market dross. They are expensive because they use the best natural and ethically sourced ingredients possible. She lingers months and years over her works of art. And they are works of art; to be appreciated and adored.

I would like to support this family run, small business fight off the mass market, huge corporations that claim to offer quality and offer pong instead.

Waiting in anticipation for your positive response,

Roses

9 comments:

  1. Well hon if I had a say in things I'd certainly give you the money. Only a bank manager with a heart of stone would refuse such an eloquent request. Oh wait ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. vide the McWhirtle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:16 am

    http://twining.wordpress.com/2007/09/14/225/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:29 pm

    Never fear, Roses, simply tell the buyer your prefered Miller Harris fragrance, and it will magically appear. Yes, it is I, Samantha, who gave you the training yesterday. Thank you for listening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Free perfume - not bad. The power of the blog! Let's hope your bank manager reads it soon.

    Have you read the book Perfume or seen the film?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:28 pm

    wow free perfume - I checked out the website and it looked fab stuff....quick write another letter to the bank manager asking for a million pounds...I think you are onto something with this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:00 pm

    Dear Roses,

    I must inform you that our bank is not in the habit of loaning money for the purpose of purchasing purely pampering perfumery.

    Indeed, your very request left me staring in disbelief at your letter for some time. Eventually, I decided you are quite clearly very simply mad and laughed heartily at your request, before drafting a directive declaring my decision.

    Unfortunately, I was working from home at the time, and my wife has over-ruled my decision.

    Consequently, the bank will grant your requst on the condition you take my wife out for coffee and to buy perfume.

    Please don't let her buy too much.

    Yours sincerely,

    The Bank Manager

    ReplyDelete
  8. hottie ~ I thought it was perfectly reasonable.

    cogidubnus ~ yes I know you think this is a frivolous waste of my time...but I love working with fragrance and ultimately, it's keeping me in studying and my creativity.

    twining ~ I'll get my driving gloves.

    samantha ~ I'm gobsmacked you found me. Welcome. It was really interesting learning about your fragrances. They are quite simply stunning, to my poor novice nose.

    sanddancer ~ yep, I'm still excited. I'll be buying the book over the weekend, it was recommended during my training.

    NM ~ I don't know, I wouldn't want to push my luck too far.

    The Bank Manager :-P''''

    The Bank Manager's Wife ~ I think I'm off Monday, let me lead you astray then. Failing that, I'm working tomorrow, come in and I can give you a list of things to ask for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you get me wrong...frivolous is good for you, being the minds necessary escape from the grim realities of life...waste of time? As far as I can make out the only real waste is waking time spent living and not learning at least something from it!

    You've been educating your nose (stud and all!)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...