Monday, June 18, 2007

Happy Blogday to Me

Today, this blog is a year old. In the next two weeks I will be coming to the end of this particular journey. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. This afternoon, after a particularly tempestous meeting with our external examiner, I went for a bus ride and tried to take some photos. I was really struck with the fact that it didn't feel right. I was happy enough riding around, listening to my MP3 player and being nosey about other people, but taking photos of the experience...it felt unnecessary and wrong. So I took others instead.

This time last year I had concrete plans: I was going to get a First, I was going to do the full-time MA in Culture and Communication, I was going to get funding, I was going to get a part-time job, I was going to become a lecturer. I was also worried about Boy becoming a teenager, having a long-term relationship (not being in one at the time) and feeling sad about not having any more children (that really bugged me).

This year I have come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to get a First, I'll be happy with a 2.i (well, not happy exactly, but not disappointed either). I get my results Friday. Fortunately, I'm going to be working, otherwise I'd be going on a weekend bender and my liver is a bit fragile at the momet. I've applied to do the part-time MA in Digital Arts at the college and await further instructions. I'm not going to get funding (certainly not without a First, or filling out the application form), I'd rather do the course part-time and work as it gives me more flexibility and I can't be arse to wade through 40 pages of forms (I kid you not). I have had a couple of part-time jobs, the second one has kept me sane, in money and make-up. The first, stressed me to dangerous levels even if it did pay a heck of a lot more. Boy has got taller, broader, a touch moody, a bit spotty, but is the same lovely lad. I still get loads of cuddles and we still have fun hanging out together. He has a cheeky sense of humour and a fabulous smile. I am still potty about him...you might have noticed, probably as I keep going on about him. I am in a relationship, one which I didn't expect, but am enjoying very much. I no longer feel sad that I'm not likely to have more children, I suppose I'm too busy being creative and trying to keep the rest of my life going.

I suppose the biggest change has come from my attitude towards life. I haven't got a clue what's going to be good for me. Rather than trying to impose my will on life in general, I'm just letting it happen and going with the flow. I think I'll try and follow this advice, which you can see over here as well. My energy levels still aren't much to write home about, but I've started exercising again and am pleased to say I've lost 2 lbs last week. I am getting there, just a bit slowly; and no, I still have no idea where I'm going.

When I started writing this blog, I didn't realise that I'd get loads of new friends. New friends who've kept me company when I was low, who encouraged me when I lagged, who gave me loads of virtual hugs when I was pleased with myself. So, thanks very much all of you. I'm really enjoying this journey, I hope you'll stick around to see what the next year will bring.

18 comments:

  1. Congrats, you don't look any older?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:44 pm

    Happy blogday roses!

    I'm enjoying the journey too...when I starting reading your post I almost got a bit panicky thinking you were going to give it up...so glad you're not. I'll be sticking around to read more and see where your next journey takes you

    NM x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blog day dear Rooooosiiieee!

    *cough*

    I mean....

    ~ Ro-ses ~

    . . . .

    Happy blogday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember thinking that the best bit of the advice from Baz is: 'The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
    never crossed your worried mind'.
    This has often comforted me when insomnia strikes.
    Your life sounds good - happy blogging birthday and good luck on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:12 pm

    Happy blog day sweetie. Wow what a year. I wonder where you'll be next year?

    Good luck for Friday. Let me know when you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:26 pm

    Happy Blog Day :oD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:27 pm

    Ah the job with the dangerous stress levels....it was often a nightmare but if it wasn't for that job we wouldn't know each other, and I, for one, am grateful!

    And fingers crossed for Friday!

    My livejournal turned two or something back at Easter and that was very strange indeed. I still don't know why I have it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday Roses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Thanks for all your good wishes.

    jimmy ~ thanks very much, good to know the face cream does what it says on the tin.

    NM ~ cheers honey. Nope, you can't get rid of me that easily.

    ing ~ *slap* just cause it's my blog day, you can't get away with that!

    KAZ ~ every time I listen to it, I get struck by something. Today, it was 'floss'.

    Hottie ~ Thanks honey. I will let you know. The wailing and gnashing of teeth might be a bit of a hint. But we'll see.

    dianne ~ always good to see you, I'm really chuffed you popped by today as you were the first blogger I really got to know *hugs*

    gertie ~ well, they always say that there's good to be found in all situations. You were my bit of good. It was an experience. I never thought I'd learn so much about human nature and bloody Polonium 210! I like reading your livejournal...don't you dare give it up.

    twining ~ thanks hon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:19 am

    Happy birthday roses

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogging Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cogidubnus ~ thanks hon

    Mr BE ~ thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A belate Happy Blogday from me. Are Hallmark doing blogday cards yet? Every other event seems to be catered for.

    Like NM, I thought for a moment that this was your goodbye post and I'm pleased it isn't. Long may you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sanddancer ~ nope, it's definitely not goodbye...you are stuck with me.

    I didn't think to look for blog day cards. Maybe this is market opportunity.

    You wait Rodders, this time next year we'll be millionaires!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:15 pm

    Aww happy belated blogday roses :o)xx
    Am still reading through your archives on the sly at work, if I get told off for skiving I hold you entirely responsible! Hahaha
    And like the others, I started thinking it was your 'goodbye' post & glad to find it wasn't :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6:46 pm

    Got my fingers crossed for you for Friday Roses...good luck with the results!

    NM x

    ReplyDelete
  17. G*N*D ~ tell them it's all for a good cause. Failing that, point them my way, I'll take the flack for you.

    NM ~ thanks hon

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy blogday ...
    its been a great journey so far so keep posting...

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...