Friday, May 25, 2007

Hermes ~ Eau de Merveilles

Today's Perfume of the Day is ambergris based and is unusual in that it contains no floral notes at all. It comes in a sparkley bottle - what's not to like? I think my time in the perfume department is beginning to play havoc with my sense of smell. I can't smell the fragrances as well as I used to. Yesterday I ended up spraying myself with 3 different perfumes and I couldn't tell if they had lasted. The fact that people were giving me a wide berth suggests otherwise...or it could be my singing...I can't tell at the moment. Anyway, given that I thought I'd make sure and just apply one fragrance. And the Hermes was today's choice. I quite liked it, it seemed to smell pretty much the same throughout the day which is unusual. Perfumes tend to change as they warm up on the skin, and the longer they remain on the skin.

Today, I have been frustrated with my young, awfully sweet but dim work colleagues. She's really lovely, but bless her, she never worked in a pub. My dad H had a pub in North Norfolk, and when I was 18 I started working for him. After 2 years of working together we stopped talking to each other for 6 months and it was another 4 years before I would work with him again. Ours was a tempestuous relationship to say the least. Earlier this year when I was back in Trinidad I made certain I sat down and said what a difference his training made to my working practice. I can talk to customers, I can go into a strange and stressful situation and make myself useful with minimum supervision. And that was all down to him. He was so chuffed that we had that conversation.

The problem is, I think that everyone should attempt to be punctual, they should clean things that need dusting and re-arrange shelves when necessary, customers should be approached. Or at the very least, appear up for it. My colleague had no get up and go. She was willing, bless her and would happily do a task if asked. But I did get a bit frustrated with her staring into space, and her friend whose half hour break turned into 50 mins.

Writing this has been good for me. It reminded me that my working practice was learned. I'm only the 'as and when' person, so it doesn't matter what I think, it's not my place to train her up, or to even worry about her. I'm working a four day stretch and OMG my feet hurt. They want me to dress up tomorrow and there is no way I can. I can just about get away with my flat shoes at the moment; the thought of putting on heels, to stand up 7.5 hours...nope, it just ain't gonna happen.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:33 pm

    One of my work colleagues is just like that - no get up and go, no seize the initiative, make a good impression or sometimes even turn up on time or not disappear for 45 minutes...unfortunately it IS my job to train/supervise/kick him...

    standing? in heels for 7.5 hours? are they mad? I refuse to belive it can be done...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only can it be done, some of the women I work with, do it with 3 inch, chopstick heels.

    Happy kicking!

    Actually. Bugger that. It's the bank holiday! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:35 am

    Never mind no get up and go - I am allegedly day-to-day responsible for a mindless oaf, recruited by my line-manager, who physically drops off to sleep at least once an hour - he has a degree in a relevant discipline yet after two years (!)lacks the ability to complete even the simplest data input task with any degree of accuracy...and just shrugs his shoulders and attempts to blame somebody else when pulled up for it...

    Worse still, on the odd occasion the prat's actually awake, he consciously undermines the firm at any opportunity...

    His (well-off upper managerial class) parents are convinced he's a boy genius and that his lack of fast-track progress is down to a cheapskate employer...far from...despite a poor quality line-manager (who should be downgraded for (a) recruiting and (b) perpetuating the pillock) it's a pretty good firm on the whole...

    Good news...the bugger's leaving...bad news, his new firm are doubling his present salary (which incidentally pushes him far above my own grade)...everyone in the department is suddenly disgruntled and looking around...

    The new suckers (oops sorry...meant employers) identity? Well suffice it to say he's working for Ken Livingstone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch.

    Grin & hang in there hon.

    Just keep thinking about the money...

    ReplyDelete
  5. annony ~ how do you stop yourself kicking the barsteward? See, this is one of the reasons I'm not good in an office...I just can't help but get cross and make sarky comments. Let Ken have the pleasure of his company, one good turn deserves another.

    ing ~ I'm staying in this job because it's good working there and I like the work. The money is rubbish.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...