Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Happy Wednesday

Just to let you know I haven't fallen off the ends of the Earth, although it does feel like I've been there and back. I went to see Hottie for the weekend in Liverpool. She's just great and bless her, spoilt me rotten. We had a quiet time of it really, my system not being up for major sessions at the moment. But I did manage to lead her astray which is always good fun. Having recently been a convert to all things completely girlie, when we went shopping I twisted her arm into having a lovely make-up girl from MAC give her a new look.

Thinking about it, if Alix wouldn't have got me the job in the department store, I would not have ever dreamt of sitting down at a cosmetic house and ask for a new 'look'. I always thought that these orange, made-up to the 9s women, were bitchy and would look down on any attempt on my part to access their world. Actually, a bunch of nicer, more gorgeous women I have yet to meet. They are so enthusiastic about their work, and while it is part sales pitch, they genuinely seem to get pleasure from making other women feel good about themselves.

Hottie and I were talking about it at length over a bottle of red velvet, she was commenting on my new joy in being a girlie. I possess more make-up now, than I have ever owned in my entire life. Most of it being the sparkley type. I pamper myself now within an inch of my life. It doesn't actually have anything to do with how I look. I still have a list of things that I'd love to magically change (doesn't everyone?), but it is about how I feel about myself. These things are fun to do, it makes me feel good. When I was doing my diss...I confess I had sparkley eyeshadow and lip gloss on at 2 in the morning, as well as fabulous perfume. And yes, the cat did think I was a bit nuts. Boy withheld comment (he is going to make some woman a very good husband).

I suppose I've come to believe that Life is difficult enough: jobs are hard work, maintaining family relationships, friendships, partnerships can be tough, money is a never ending cause for concern. Therefore, rather than join in with the grind anything that can give a knackered person a lift, whether its the glass of good red at the end of the day, a shared meal with a loved one, a good book, a bit of a pamper...should be indulged.

I really like that word, I'll say it again Indulge. It sounds so decadent, and more than a bit selfish. I mean really, how can a person justify taking a few moments to please themselves, when there's so much else to be getting on with. Hmmm....well because a life without pleasure is called existence. True pleasure is never selfish. When you feel good, everything relaxes and this thing happens with your lips...it's called a smile. Be honest, you have to have a heart of stone not to respond when someone smiles at you, just because you can (no, I'm not talking about the weirdo on the train/bus/at work).

Why don't we be really naughty together? Tell me what you are going to do to indulge yourself?

7 comments:

  1. Hello, are we ASKING for trouble? ;)

    "Why don't we be really naughty together? Tell me what you are going to do to indulge yourself?"

    Glad you have been enjoying your shameless self-pleasure ;)

    I noticed you had been quiet recently... And I thought you might have been off with that Viking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now you come to think of it, the post could have been taken that way...

    oops :-( my bad

    As I read this I am in the Viking's dressing gown, drinking coffee out of a Hull City supporter's mug and am about the plot my way home again.

    You win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My truest most decadent indulgence at the monment is in all honesty just plain not doing Anything. Yes with a capital A. If I do get to sit down for 20 mins it seems I spend that 20mins worrying about what I have to do. The worrying is the fatiguing part.

    I truly crave oblivion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:09 pm

    I bought a 'rabbit' recently, does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:03 pm

    We ALL need a little self-pampering every now and then...WITH these one can put up almost indefinitely with the worst of the unimaginable crap life throws up...WITHOUT little treats one gets to asking "just what is the point" - never a constructive stage to reach...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I'd just let you know that I have been indulging myself by excessive overuse of vinto tinto and thankfully am still under its merry influence! Now that's what I call 'value for money'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. britswitch ~ I don't have such pangs, as the state of my flat will attest to. I'm a great believer in a healthy dollop of laziness. Besides, if you don't spend time sitting and thinking, how else are you supposed to work out plots, characters and twists in your writing?

    dianne ~ if it makes you happy, go for it girl...

    cogidubnus ~ exactly my point!

    try2fly ~ hail and welcome. After sharing a cheeky little Aussie cabernet merlot last night with britswitch, alls well in the world this morning (or what little is left of it)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...