Friday, September 29, 2006

Return of the Students

Riding around on the Number 25 as I do, I was slightly taken aback at the difference that students make.

No longer do I sit in quiet contemplation of 42. Instead I have to breathe and count to 10 when I see someone sitting in MY seat. Yes, I have a seat. Actually, I have two. All summer, I've pretty much had the top deck to myself. I sit on the right side of the bus going to the university 5 rows back from the stairs. There's a place where I can put my right leg and then lean on it with my elbow as I stare out the window. When I get to the last stop at the university I switch to the left side, but back another row, so I can adopt a similar position out of the sun (yes there was sun). Now the top deck is almost full. Not only that, people hover over me and look pointedly at the seat my bag rests on. They want to sit next to me! It's just not on.

The city has woken up from it's summer slumber. The streets are packed; not only do I have to dodge the elderly, the infirm and the mums with double buggies, I have to dodge lost students as well. That's fine, but the students arrival heralds the dreaded 'C'word.

I hate the run-up to Christmas. The streets and lanes get packed. It becomes impossible to pop in to do a 'quick' bit of shopping. But more than that, I hate the anxiety and aggression that Christmas brings. The way people treat each other is appalling. Shoppers barge into each other, bags swinging; children fight and wail to stressed parents who bicker with each other. Last Christmas boy and I waded our way through the throng, between us we counted 4 altercations in 20 mins, including a fist fight between a teenage boy and girl. Is this really the season of good will?

5 comments:

  1. Down here in Torquay we have students all through the summer. They are here to learn English but all they do is get in the way and spend money. They have all gone now and the change is wonderful.

    More pictures of Cockington and Torbay on
    http://torbayphotos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me started on double-buggies. Any sensible inventor would have stacked them one on top of the other, insead of making them exactly the same width as a pavement. Their one redeamign feature is that they occasionally get stuck in doorways - hilarious, like a scene from a three-stooges film - and force cyclists and old people in electric carts off the paths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. The technology is playing up. This is the second time I've had to type this and I am unimpressed.

    justajob - I'm going to make my way over as soon as I finish abusing my computer.

    gary - the only problem with double buggies being stuck in doorways is that it's always the one I want to go through in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaah Christmas. Well personally, i jumped off the great festive steam roller in favour of a back to basics approach within our immediate family but unfortunately, i have to agree with you about generally moving from a->b, weekly shopping and the like.

    I might even give it a name and start a support group ~ lol

    Festive Rage, Christmas-itus, December Disorder ~ oh dear, i have too much time on my hands!

    Back to the reports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:22 pm

    Dianne - Welcome. I definitely suffer from Festive Rage. My symptoms seem to start at the August Bank Holiday, when I see the Christmas cards and decorations being sold in Next, and continuing with growing intensity until January 2nd.

    Might I suggest our support group meets here every Monday evening? I'll provide non-festive nibbles and red wine.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...