Monday, September 25, 2006

It's Damp and Grey

My boy coughed up such a storm getting ready for school, it was obvious he still didn't feel any better so I shovelled him back into bed. My morning happened very, very slowly until we both needed a Star Wars fix. It took me half an hour to get dressed and leave the house. I waited for the Numbers 14/24 both of which go directly into the city.

I don't bother with an umbrella for two reasons. Firstly, I have the memory of a hamster, I've lost way too many umbrellas for me to invest in anymore and secondly, I still get wet, so why have the extra burden of carrying something around with the potential for a compensation nightmare after I've accidentally removed someones eyeballs? So when it rains I get wet and try to dodge umbrellas.

Today's trip into town was no different. I waited for the bus, standing well back from the road. When the bus appeared I was a grateful, damp bunny I tell you. Inside the bus, the passengers were at various stages of damp, misery and steaming up the windows. Norwich was bleak, but just because it was tipping it down, it didn't stop the pre-teenagers showing off their bare midriffs and stick-like, blue legs.

The trip back, once I secured the DVD from the library was fairly uneventful, but for us passengers all huddling under the bus shelter. It's the only time I don't mind being up close and personal with other bus people. It kept the wind out and it ensure that those in the middle didn't get soaked by the gusts. However, when the bus eventually arrived solidarity disappeared, as we all tried to stampede into the bus.

2 comments:

  1. You and me both with the brollies. I see people marching through town with lethally armed brollies. One day I will actually see an eyeball mounted on one of them like a grotesque trophy, while the brolly owner jabbers into those tiny mics they wear on their ears, and how important do you need to be to have one of those?

    Maybe we should raise awareness. recruit a celebrity and bring in new legislation making spiky brollies illegal. They would have to be rounded, or tipped with rubber. And in we would step, with novelty rubber tips for brollies, and make a killing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:30 pm

    Welcome Gary! What a fabulous idea, please do come again. Just think we could retire to the Seychelles, no more dodging dangerous brollies in cold, damp Blighty.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...