Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Clubbing in Liverpool

I thought I'd return to the Liverpool clubbing scene as it provided me with endless entertainment. Don't ask me the names of the clubs we went to, I was just following the person in front of me. Which was fine as I didn't get lost, but it did mean that when he went into the loo, I got a funny look.

The first bar we went into was a trendy aluminium and silver affair with industrial flooring and a draught like a hurricane. No seats, no cloak room, no tables. I propped myself up on the bar and made eyes at the barman who was just old enough to serve me. Bless him. He agreed to put my coat round the back and kept me in doctored fruit cocktails. I'm amazed, got drunk with Hottie and didn't offend any bar staff. It was really nice being able to chat to all of Hottie's work colleagues, who are very sweet and genuinely nice individulals who love Hottie to bits. How she's going to leave them I have no idea.

Then we were off. The next place was less trendy and pretentious. A packed bar with loud music and very predatory males. They must have had bladders like hamster's purses, they kept on pushing past, brushing past and pinching past. In the end I found that if I turned and faced them as they inched by, it kept their hands off. I wouldn't have minded but for 2 reasons. 1. They did it to every woman and 2. they could not be described in any way shape or form as cute, goodlooking or vaguely interesting.

The next bar we went to was playing the Best of the 80s and oh boy did I know all the words to the songs. We put our coats and bags in the middle of the floor and boogied all around them. It was great fun. I love dancing. I don't do it well, but it's never stopped me before. When I dance I don't drink so I don't even have that excuse. This bar was run by girl band rejects who refused to serve me, I got ignored at the bar for 15 mins, in the end I gave up. During the lift home I was told that all the Liverpool barmaids are like that. They don't like women customers. Fine.

Walking from that bar to where our ride was waiting I was surprised what a good atmosphere the city centre had. Lots of drunken people (of which we certainly were) but in the main it was a good vibe drunk. A guy who couldn't stand up straight stroking the nose of a patient police horse, his girlfriend holding him up and laughing with the other copper. The door supervisors smiling as we went past. I think if Norwich would be more like that, I'd certainly be tempted to go out more. It's got such undercurrents that the dancing isn't worth the hassle. Which is a real shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...