Sunday, June 25, 2006

Culture and Internet Dating

As I write this I'm pretty much clutching my coffee and plugged in to Carmina Burana; Hottie is knitting, listening to the Archers. We went shopping yesterday and a trip to Virgin provided me with a relatively inexpensive copy of said music.

The reason for the purchase is that I'm off to the Theatre Royal in a couple of weeks time to see an Andalucian Spectacular set to Carmina Burana. I am ridiculously excited about it. I'm going to the theatre! It's quite a large cast of 30; including singers, flamenco dancers and 2 Andalucian stallions. When the troop last visited Norwich they performed Carmen to rave reviews. It looks like it could be quite an interesting evening; either that or it's going to be pants. One has to take the occasional risk.

Mind you, drinking with Hottie is a bit of a risk. Her limits are far higher than mine, which last time led to me feeling quite poorly in the morning and me continuing to rush past a local tavern, my head bowed in shame. Last night, we were far more restrained and only polished off a bottle of rose and a bottle of Hardy's sparling wine (not as nice as red velevet, gave me heartburn). After boy went to bed, Hottie hit the internet looking for some action from the Guardian Soulmates. I hold my hand up, it was my idea. I think if one is new to an area, knows only work people (and won't date them), then internet dating becomes a viable alternative.

She started with the Guardian website. The Guardian's list is long, the information about the Potential is quite detailed. It does not include much about physical details, though there are some; far more time is spent on interests, occupation, education, salary, star sign, life style choices, a long section of their WLTM and then even more blurb on them. After she used up her 5 free goes, Hottie trawled through the the Independent and the Mirror.

There she made a disturbing discovery. The same 16 men from the Independent, were also available in the Mirror! In disgust, she flounced off to the Sun, and then we started rolling around the floor crying. The Sun's criteria were a bit more basic. There were yes and no boxes, for employment and facial hair! One man, we were a bit perturbed by; his picture suggested a short back and sides cut, his details said shoulder length hair. I still think it was his way of admitting to a hairy back! We were disappointed there wasn't a section for string vests and builder's cleavage.

I'm encouraging Hottie to register for the Guardian service when she gets back to Liverpool. There are worse ways of meeting people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...