Thursday, March 02, 2017

Spring has Sprung Round 'ere

Darlings, thank you so much for your support in my last post, I have news about the mentor, that's coming below. Again, thank you for your kind words and virtual hugs, they were so appreciated.

Z and LT have left me in charge of the Rampaging Rabble, which meant this afternoon I took the bins out for bin collection day tomorrow. As I walked to and fro I was struck by a sense of deep gratitude and appreciation to be trusted to be here. The Zedary is so beautiful and has healed so many of the broken parts of my soul, in so many tender moments, it held me in the moments of my deepest fear. Being here has meant more to me than I have words to express. And it's spring.

Darlings, there are so many snowdrops. I didn't realise a single place could have so many. Dotted around and in clumps. The narcissi have popped up, egging their later flowering cousins on, some of whom have risen to the challenge and refuse to be out done. 

My chooks are laying again. They started last weekend and the noise they've been making about it, honestly, I thought something had got in there and was attacking them. I suppose they're a bit rusty yet. Happily, bantams don't lay all year round...or at least mine didn't. It means they'll live longer than their more profuse relatives. Z's velociraptors kept going through the winter and age doesn't seem to slow them down much at all.

The DEFRA regulations have lifted the most stringent of restrictions, tomorrow, I'll take the covering off their run, but will keep them all in. I would rather be safe, plus I've discovered how convenient it is to have them in all one place, not racing around creating havoc. With the coop being mobile, I've been moving it around, giving them new ground and a new view every week. It's working quite well.

The pheasants still expect to be fed. They congregate at the hedge when they hear my coffee grinder go off and then get closer and closer to the house the longer I take to feed them. We had some snow about three weeks ago and they were all but banging on my kitchen window. Daft things. They noted I was feeding the rabble and milled around hopefully. Feeding them twice a day would be too much, they're portly enough I feel.

And for my three bits of totally awesome news:

1.  Dave met with his oncologist late in February. He remains cancer free. Not only that, his poor baggy kidney is returning to its normal size and shape. A welcome surprise especially as that explained some of the discomfort he was having. Of course I cried. As much as I would like to tell you I've been big and brave about this particular follow up appointment, I can't. I'd be lying. I was worried as hell. Dave will continue having quarterly follow ups and after two years, will go down to bi-annual checks. I take every day as it comes. 

2.  Social media to the rescue! (again) Thanks to Twitter, a lovely lady responded and offered her services. We met yesterday for the first time and she has been exactly who I was looking for: she's an artist herself, she works in education at the levels I'm looking for and she's just lovely! Thanks to her, my tentative plans are now better formed. 

I'm going to spend the next 18 months arting my little (hah) backside off. This time will be about building my practise as an artist, experimenting wildly, producing masses of work with the intention to put a portfolio together to apply for a Masters of Fine Arts at A.N. Art School (to be determined). Having a mentor means I can focus on doing work I'm drawn to, rather than working my way through a curriculum set by other people. I don't need the discipline put upon me. I just need some guidance and to be fed information occasionally. Having a mentor will do exactly this for me. I will also continue taking as many art classes as I can to continue to build upon my skills. 

I'm working towards a ten year plan and I'm quite happy to have the next three years accounted for; I know the seven years after that will be a slog. That's fine. If my foundations are strong enough I can deal. Besides, it's not like I'll be thinking about retirement. That is simply not going to happen. 

3.  Remember I told you my friend Chris the astrophotographer and I were planning to work together to do an exhibition? I submitted the application a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, I got an email accepting us! Put the 13th to 24th November 2018 in your diaries darlings, you're all invited. It's a conditional offer, as we haven't got the body of work ready to hang, they want to see one of my oil paintings next year. That's fair enough. They are taking a risk with me, I've only just started to explore the subject. Nevertheless, I did a happy dance around my living room. Shortly followed by the stunned "oh bugger" dance. Now the work really begins. 

At the end of November last year, I was struggling somewhat. I put together an action plan to help me get my shit together. December didn't happen because of that bloody virus, pretty much wiped out five weeks of my life (which I deeply resent), but there you go. In January, I discovered the joys of Bullet Journalling which enabled me to chase down my ducks, round them up and get them lined up in some semblance of order. It's meant I'm building a daily meditation practice to keep The Crazy at bay and got me moving again. I'm now beginning to work out again in the mornings, I've had to go back to the beginning with Rosemary Conley, but I'm moving and the best bit is that while I've been frustrated at my general lack of fitness, it turns out I'm a lot better than I thought. My resting heart rate has come down considerably. Three years ago, the best I could manage was 82 bpm, Now it's 68 bpm. Hopefully, that will continue to improve the more I move.

The ridiculous part is I'm getting up the same time and I do all of this stuff first thing...it's still second and third thing in the morning before I'm able to get on with the other things in my life. Having said that, I am not on the sofa very much at all, nor am I on Facebook or Twitter and it's been much better for my general wellbeing. There's some crazy shit going on out there. 

Darlings, this month I aim to do better. See you next week. xx

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:45 pm

    I'm very glad that you write here again - and positive things too !

    My best wishes to Dave for a full recovery.

    Hang 'em high I say, especially when it's star related stuff. No, I do not remember Chris the stargazer - but now you have a deadline, ha !
    And I hope that the co-operation with the lady you mentioned will help you to focus and achieve all what you want to do reach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:47 pm

      Manners : Yay - first !

      Delete
    2. He's nearly back to his usual self, thank you my darling. I will pass on your best wishes to him.

      Yes, the deadline has definitely focused my brain, that's for sure. I will post about Chris next time. He's good people.

      Much love darling and congrats on being first! xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds good. All sorts of things moving forward, plans being made, the future being mapped out. I like the way the pheasants respond to your coffee grinder....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good thanks. Taking a bit of getting used to after last year, but a welcome change.

      Yes, they are hilarious. This morning, there was not a pheasant to be seen; grinder went on then suddenly, there were 13 of the buggers looking expectantly at me.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the good news all around. I am especially pleased with Dave's progress and achievement.

    Looking forward to art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, it's my pleasure. I pass it on with a slight sense of disbelief and a huge slice of gratitude.

      Thank you for keeping me company throughout this time.

      That's the part I'm most grateful for, the support I've had.

      Lots of love darling. xx

      Delete
  4. Yes, thank you for some much needed upbeat news!! And congrats on the Art news!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome.

      I wish you were closer. My mentor suggested I start playing with a dip pen and ink.

      My first experiments did not go quite according to plan. I thought of you and your pensmanship (penwomanship) with a huge amount of respect.
      xx

      Delete
  5. All excellent news! Massive hugs for Dave (and you too, of course) for beating down the cancer. Big squeeeee for you for getting a mentor and an art show!!! That's fabulous!! Can't wait to see your arting and wishing I lived a lot closer because you know I would so be there! Congratulation, Roses!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well darling, if you decide to come a-travelling, there's always space for you here. xxx

      Delete
  6. I should order bulk supplies of Gold Stars and hugs-i seem to be dishing them out all over the map.
    Special hug(not too tight around the kidney region though!) to Dave.And, since he's feeling so cocky he can hug you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always up for gold stars, though Dave is the one who deserves it.

      I hugged Dave and he hugged me back.

      xx

      Delete
  7. Snowdrops are gorgeous! Love them!

    Thank you for sharing the great news about Dave's health. Happy news! Best wishes for continued good health for both of you.

    Congratulations on finding a mentor. I'm happy for you, finding exactly what you needed to take it up to the next level.

    And speaking of next level, Congrats to you and Chris for booking an art show! I'm so excited for you! I, too, wish that I could be closer to see your creations. Have fun and enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'll share pictures of the work. I don't mind boring the pants off people. Don't you worry.

      Massive hugs to you darling.
      xx

      Delete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...