Tuesday, June 07, 2016

It's June? Really? How?

Darlings, I'm sorry. I've neglected you dreadfully. It's just been a bit of a tough time and social media seems filled with enough doom and gloom without me adding to it.

This cycle of chemotherapy has knocked Dave sideways and as a result, me as well.

We are doing fine, all things considering. Dave is fricking amazing the way he continues to cope with the chemo and the side effects, as well as me worrying and fussing. The last two cycles are in sight. Yes, there will be the radiation therapy...but we are counting down the sessions now.

The weather this Spring has been diabolical. Truly vile. To the point where quite frankly, I was considering putting my heating back on. And then suddenly, on Saturday...after 10 days of cold, damp and grey...there was sunshine!

Dave's sister and niece came up over the weekend and brought with them loads of warmth and enthusiasm. Just what the doctor ordered. They got me in the garden; got me digging and thinking and planning. When they left Sunday lunchtime, I continued. 

It turns out all my hard work last Autumn with the chickens digging out the roots of the perennial weeds wasn't wasted. Although I haven't eradicated the ground elder and nettles and they've sprung up again with great enthusiasm, they haven't got quite the hold that they've previously enjoyed. 

Z gave me some lovely plants for my birthday. I'd been scratching my head wondering where even to begin. Dave's sister pointed me in the right direction, got them all in and looking fabulous and I've carried on ever since. Following her good advice, I've broken down the gardening into mini-projects and I've been focusing on one area at a time. 

My scatter gun approach wasn't really making a visible dent in things (even though it was) and now after roughly four days work, I can really see the difference. There was a pond, and while it could have been again (or a bog garden) I decided to keep the structure and create an homage instead. We'll pop in little alpines in rocky crevices and it should be quite fun.

Scrabble and Polly are in their second broody week. I'm getting a bit bored of them hanging out in the greenhouse now. It's put Canasta right off laying there and I'm having to chase around after her to make sure I find her laying places. She's also quite lonely wandering around by herself. Jenga...well...he's swanning around making loads of noise as usual. No change there.

Have some pix darlings.


 Look at my magnificent cock! Isn't Jenga gorgeous?
 My birthday plants from Z (except the oriental poppy that gatecrashed the party) 
 The Pond Homage
 From another angle
Teeny Tiny Very Smelly Roses

17 comments:

  1. I did crack and put my central heating on for 3 days last week. Then we went away for the weekend and it appears we have brought some nice weather home with us.

    I admire your work. My garden is a mess. I ought to have gone out and hacked back some of the undergrowth this afternoon, but sitting at my PC sorting out photographs was altogether more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the room heater and electric blankets going. Honestly. Ridiculous weather for May.

      Thanks for the admiration. This is where I point out that I've been here for 18 months and it's taken me this long to get this far (which isn't that far at all).

      It's really hot out there and frankly, working a couple hours in the morning or evening is by far the most sensible thing.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:53 pm

    Tiny smelly roses in a bog garden, exactly the place to be !
    Good to hear from you - and belated best wishes darling ! Look away Dave - *mwah* !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *mwah*

      Dave isn't the jealous sort. Don't worry.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see you back in the blogmire.(yes, that IS a word.Invented specifically for bloggers who, for various reasons, have been a bit slack)
    I'll probably have some garden pics to blog soon...yesterday I phoned Dean and he's popping in on Friday to give us a quote on MAJOR DECIMATION of some bolshy trees.
    Very pleased to know Dave is still heading in the right direction.And you are sweet to put a brick in his bin-lid wading pool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brick is for the birdies to perch and drink. His idea.

      He tells me I have to move the "pond", it's spoiling the aesthetic of the homage. I'll figure out where to put it in a bit.
      x

      Delete
  4. Blogmire... will have to remember that word, Dinah... it certainly fits me!

    Your garden looks lovely! What a lot of work. My garden and yard are loaded with dandelions. I have a dead tree that needs cutting down but as there are chickadees nesting in a hollow, that will have to wait until later ~ fall most likely.

    I have two elms in my back yard and they are spewing forth millions of tiny seeds that are the bane of my existence right now. They clog up everything, sprout wherever they can find a speck of dirt, and just keep coming and coming. I have 2/3s filled one of those large paper yard waste bags with just seeds... and that hasn't even touched the mess.

    Your place looks lovely. I'm so glad Dave is coping as best he can with the chemo. And that it has warmed up. And yes, your cock is striking! Warm hugs all round. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is coming along nicely.

      Z is lending me her man with a chainsaw to bring down some dead/dying trees and unwanted shrubs for the next bit. It's going to look a mess with carpet draped over it, but we've got to kill off the ground elder and nettles.

      The autumn is going to be busy.

      We don't see elms around here, so I'm imagining the mess. Having swept up birch and sycamore seeds, I have a good idea what you mean.

      xxx

      Delete
  5. First off, best wishes & much strength to both you & Dave. Thanks for keeping us posted. I'll continue to keep y'all in my thoughts & wish y'all good health & happiness.

    The chicken looks handsome. Your garden looks spectacular! Your work there looks wonderful. You've a gift for growing things! The roses are very pretty, glowing sunrise pink! Glad to hear y'all had a wonderful visit with family & your friends are still there to support you. Your internet friends support you, too, because we care for you & yours. Here's to wishing y'all pleasant weather & some joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling. All hugs and good wishes appreciated!

      We keep on a-truckin'

      Lots of love darling.
      xx

      Delete
  6. Garden is looking great!

    Glad Dave is counting the sessions down now xx

    It's been stupidly cold at times!! *whispers*I turned my heating back on for a bit last week*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I do have to point out that this is only a small bit of it. The rest needs serious person-handling.

      xxx

      Delete
  7. Jenja certainly is a handsome guy!

    All the best to Dave and yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, isn't he? So very pretty, dumb as a brick.

      Thanks darling. Masses of love to you too! xx

      Delete
  8. Just came by to wish all the dads in your life a Happy Father's Day!

    Life can be confusing,
    Sometimes it's sad;
    But life is more wonderful
    With an awesome, great Dad!

    Happy Father's Day!!!
    Cheers & Thanks, Dads!!!

    _._._._._
    [*O*O*O]
    [*O*O*O]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nearly July now :-(
    Sx

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...