Thursday, July 23, 2015

Velociraptors, dreaming and over-run melons

The Great Ursus, his Lovely, Boy and I went to see Jurassic World last night. It was brilliant! Loved it so much. Only go and see it if you are able to suspend belief/science knowledge, don't require much of a plot and can resist face/palming yourself too often at character stupidity. 

I went for the velociraptors. Of course.



Now that my hay fever season is behind me, I'm now tackling weeding the greenhouse where my melons are installed. Bashing my foot means I can only do a little bit at a time before it hurts too much. But in that time, I've been able to turn an over-run garden bed into a WWI battlefield. I've managed to kill two melon plants who were twinned in and amongst the weeds and the chicken wire to keep the chickens off. 

The chicken wire, it has to be said, was less than successful. When I got into the greenhouse this morning, there was a white hen all settled in the weeds. She was very pissed off when I started grabbing handfuls of weeds near her and let me know in no uncertain terms what she thought of my intervention. Her language was fowl. 

Yesterday, I indulged in a bit of daydreaming and a Zoopla search. I found my dream house. All I need is £125,000 - £135,000 cash for an auction next week. It's a lovely bungalow, in the middle of nowhere, with a garden in the wilds of Suffolk. It's about a year too soon. I'm not ready to liquidate my assets just yet. It was still a useful exercise in that it solidifies what I'd ideally like. 

I know I never want to have another mortgage again. No more owing banks money. It does mean there's going to be a trade off between my need for seclusion and space and what I can afford. I look ahead and there's quite a bit of DIY in my future. That's okay. I'm good with that. Dave has trained me well to be a good builder's assistant. 

My space here has shown me the way I want to live. I would have never thought to put a greenhouse at a back door. It's such a great idea. It reminds me of the principles of perma culture, where you zone your garden. Herbs and needy plants are kept close by, with less needy plants and bigger veg put further afield. Granted these principles are meant to be implemented on a much bigger, farming scale, it still makes sense to me.

I'm dreaming now. I definitely want a greenhouse at my back door and a bigger greenhouse for the bigger plants (like melons). I want to have mixed beds with the emphasis on companion planting and edibles growing amongst flowers. I found out strawberries are brilliant in keeping weeds down. 

I don't want a pretty garden. And if I get my way, I will have my own velociraptors to ensure it never is pretty. Z tells me we have 3 nesting hens now. These are the first batch of chicks. They've grown so much.



I wonder if I can train them to run in formation behind me on a bike?



Happily, I can indulge these fantasies. I try them on for fit and adjust them accordingly. For example, with any house I next purchase, I must have a bedroom for Boy. Even if he graduates and buggers off to travel the world. He must always have a space here with me. It will also double quite nicely as a guest bedroom for the endless stream of visitors I'm sure I will have (*snigger*). I also need a room big and bright enough to write and be creative in. Here's where a bit of compromise works well, I could always get a garden office and kit it out to my exact specification, which would then have the bonus of facing onto my gorgeous garden.

Anyway, unless we win the lottery, or sell 50,000 cups of coffee this weekend, it's all pie in the sky at the moment. 

Reminds me of the joke my Psychology tutor told me:

Neurotics build castles in the air
Psychotics live in them
Psychiatrists come to collect the rent. 

Z still seems happy with me to be here and there's no rush yet. Next spring is a long way away yet. And who knows what Life will be like next year?

10 comments:

  1. Country living is best :-)
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is. I never in a million years, could have fathomed the good it has done for my soul.

      xx

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking you will be an excellent Chicken Whisperer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it's a skill I will quickly assimilate. Otherwise, they are going to make mincemeat of me.

      Delete
  3. "Her language was fowl." - OK, I laughed! I also like the psychology tutor's joke.

    If you can train your velociraptors, they should be able to see off any unwelcome visitors to your garden. Although, it sounds like they've already made a start with the language!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, no self-respecting sailor will have anything to do with those birds. They are the sort that would have my old teachers washing their mouths out with soap.

      Delete
  4. PS: Went to see Jurassic World again today (fourth viewing). Well-rendered dinosaurs running amok ... what's not to like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fourth viewing? Excellent. I like your style.

      The velociraptors stole the show. And I loved the references to Jurassic Park, not-so-subtle and subtle.

      Delete
  5. I often think I'd like to live in the country or by the sea (or in the country by the sea) but then I remember I like the city too. Thankfully we don't have they money to go anywhere so the decision is made for me. You are selling the country to me though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? I love living here. Fifteen years ago, I'd have laughed at you if you'd have said I would.

      As for money...yeah...the lack is a bugger.

      Delete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...