Friday, October 17, 2014

Some thoughts about living in the country

Here are just a few thoughts I've had over the last couple of weeks living in the country:
  • I really like it, even though I'm not country-folk tough
  • I really like it, even if it means I have to leave the house bang on 7.40 to get to work at 8.30
  • If I am even just 5 mins later than that, the 45 minute commute, turns into an hour + (I shit you not)
  • Poringland is the Hotel California of Norfolk villages. You can drive through, but you can never leave. I didn't leave quick enough one morning, I sat for half an hour creeping through this small village
  • Plumbers are popular men around here. The soonest I could get a plumber was four weeks from my call, i.e. middle of November
  • I ended up calling a large company to sort out the boiler issue and my Norwich plumber for the rest
  • People are really friendly, everyone really does know everyone else
  • It's kind of weird, kind of comforting
  • I've seen a lot of wildlife since being here:

  • Dave noticed this little guy munching his way through the hedge. He took no notice of us tapping the windows or anything
  • He is a muntjack, an import from China that escaped. They are about the size of a large dog or a medium sized goat
  • I've never seen one this close before
  • I've seen several pheasants, jays, magpies, crows, pigeons, deer and lots of cows
  • There's a diary up the road

  • This is the milk they sell and that I have taken to drinking




  • These are the cows the milk I drink came from. Aren't they gorgeous? They were so curious when they saw us standing by the gate
  • I am ridiculously excited by the fact that I've seen the beasts my food comes from and the money I put into the machine to get the milk, goes straight to the farmer
  • The farmer, who I've met and who makes an awesome brie (don't know if it can be called a brie if it's made on the Norfolk/Suffolk border, but you get the picture)

  • I used my workout area for the first time today. It's perfect. For the first time I've got enough space to move in and I can keep all my stuff out
  • I watch my exercise DVDs on my laptop to remind me what to do
  • It was really hard going
  • I still feel really tired
  • I still feel really happy I moved here.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite a culture change from your previous place! Glad you're glad you moved. Now you have to try milking a cow and shearing a sheep. I can tell you, I've tried and it's not as easy as it looks!

    Never heard of muntjacs before, Apparently they're the oldest known deer....

    ReplyDelete
  2. (FirstNations) Ain't it the truth? How wonderful for you! I hope you continue to enjoy it, and I'm really stoked you're taking to it and sounding happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly feeling much lighter these days. The change of scenery has done me good.

      I really like the fact I really am in the middle of fields.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:35 pm

    I like cows. They usually are peaceful animals, friendly. Now and then they stomp over a tourist, but - hey, what's that among friends ? I'm not sure about this hedge-munching animal from China, is it a deer ?
    Daily commute can be a wounderful thing, five minutes really make a difference. Good to learn that you started your workout again, perhaps there is some truth to the old "mens sana in corpore sano" stuff. Since I loose weight I feel better, true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With 7 billion people on the planet, we can afford to lose a tourist or two. They should learn to keep out the fields and shut the damned gates in the first place.

    The munching animal is indeed a small deer. I couldn't get a view of its rather attractive head because of the light conditions.

    You've lost weight? Have I missed out on your new healthy regime?

    It does make a difference to get moving. It just does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:31 pm

    It just happened / happens, the weight-loss. No salt, less bread, no processed meat, no sugar - especially no Mars-bar or such things ; more "Buttermilch", fruits ; cooking without fat. It simply works. If I'd do some work-out I would look like twenty-five again. Maybe that's the next step. Lost circa ten kilograms over the last six months and I think it will stay down. Sadly my bicycle is broken, but I will repair it over the winter and start cycling again in spring. I never was a runner, but now and then I catch myself "nearly" running through the hills - a bad habit forming i think. :) Five cigarettes maximum a day, very often less ; one or two small glasses of wine (less than half a liter) - heck I'm turning into a Muesli ! No special reason for this, just happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing isn't it, that once you start and you realise what you can achieve, the more you want to do.

      Nearly running? You'll be pounding the pavement with me sooner than you think!

      ;-)

      Delete
  6. AWESOME NEWS, so happy for you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling.

      It's like a weight has been lifted off my chest and as each day goes by I feel a little more myself again.

      x

      Delete
  7. People who come here to stay overnight always comment on how peaceful it is. I suppose I take it for granted after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when you live some where for many years, you do stop seeing it. Certainly, that's why I'm enjoying this change so much. I'm not missing the drunken revellers at 3 am, or the sirens or the takeaway detritus blowing around.

      Delete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...