Monday, July 23, 2007

Wedding Recovery Position

For those people who believe in omens and like applying them to weddings, Alix's marriage is blessed. When we got up stupid o'clock it was like a January day; cold, windy and grey. Thank goodness my Viking is so impossibly tall, he managed to achor the paperchains really high on the plum tree in the front of G's garden. By the time we made it back from town for emergency purchases it was sunny and warm and it stayed that way for the handfasting ritual which was held outside. After the wedding toast, the guests were invited into the village hall for munchies and obligatory speechs. The heavens opened, I kid you not. It threw it down. We ate far too much food, enjoyed the wine and conversation on the table, then we were thrown out of the hall so tables could be re-arranged to make a dance floor. It was bright and sunny outside. When we were allowed back in...yep, you guessed it, it started to rain again.

The handfasting was brief and to the point and Alix looked absolutely amazing in her dress. I was fine during the ceremony until she became emotional while she was saying her vows. Boy did not need any prompting to pass the tissue. I was not alone, we passed tissues left and right.

The evening do was lovely, G and J are the founding members of the Staxx Band, and they and Alix entertained us all with some amazing Motown tunes. I had to dance. Thanks to some foresight and Boy, we took with us a back pack filled with emergency supplies of flat shoes, make-up, tissues and cameras. I even managed to get the Viking to shake his funky stuff.

All in all, it was a splendid day. A brilliant start to what I hope will be a long and happy marriage.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good do. I'm actually coming round to weddings having been to two really lovely ones recently - I even nearly cried at the last one but distracted myself with a bread roll instead.

    The band sound good - Motown is in my opinion the ideal wedding music as it is very danceable and timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sanddancer ~ it really was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bellbooketc ~ I think what I like about handfastings is the more genunine emotion. Guests participate. All of the handfastings I have been to, without exception, have been glorious.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...