Monday, April 23, 2007

Still Standing (just)

My weekend did not have a particularly good start. I'd bought tickets to visit the Viking's longboat and I'd managed to drag myself out of my sickbed having progressed to the dry hack, sore throat and concrete sinuses of the cold, get myself ready and packed. I was actually at the bus stop in plenty of time. And I waited. And waited. And then a small spark went off in the corner of my brain. There was a bus strike. Needless to say I missed my train. Fortunately, I'd purchased an open ticket and it meant that the Viking could grab another hour in bed as he'd just come off nights.

By the time I got to him, I was hacking like a 60-a-day veteran and feeling like three shades of shite. I briefly considered doing the 'stiff upper lip', but I felt so dreadful, I went straight into 'dying swan'. I got taken home, tucked into bed with a cup of tea and two paracetmols. Bliss. I got all the tea and sympathy I could handle. Made being sick almost worth it.

Unfortunately, I'm now even further behind in my work since I was busy dying last week and this week, I have 4 days paid employment, which means I'll be writing well into the night to catch up. College have been putting on 'after you graduate' sessions, which has brought home the reality that in three months time, I will be donning cap and gown and leaving behind my title of 'full-time student'.

What am I going to do? I'm supposed to be a grown-up for goodness sake. I don't feel robust enough for London. It may be something I'd consider in the future, but at the moment I need the familar around me. I have been thinking about doing the MA in Digital Practice at the college, the appeal of that course being that it would enable me to continue to work in a digital forum, which would mean more projects like Journeying.

I am quite amazed that it's nearly been a year since I started on the project. So much has changed for me and the work itself has fed into other aspects of my life in the most spectacular ways. It's not really surprising that I feel reluctant to close this chapter, but the book continues...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:56 pm

    If you can wangle life as a student a little longer I say do it. Heck, it's one of the reasons I love teaching - I'm always looking stuff and studying so I can teach the kids. If I had my way I'd be a student or researcher forever. Alas there's little call for medieval historians and sod all by way of funding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vaguely remember my 'After You Graduate' stuff from UEA. Don't think any of it helped in way.

    Prolong the student life a little longer - its got to be better than searching for a job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gertie ~ given the hassle and trauma you're experiencing and you're still enthusiastic about teaching...I'm humbled. I have faith in you honey, you will find an amazing reception class to teach and they'll love you to bits.

    sanddancer ~ the chat was kinda useful, but as for the rest of it, I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:04 am

    I've been thirty two years in my job, and despite loving it (well, mostly) I have to say that if you can get away with further study, go for it...

    At the same time, my highly envious alter-ego is saying "bloody eternal student - go get a real job" ...

    Stay away from the dark side...

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...