Saturday, March 24, 2007

Dissertation is Done!

Yes, you read right. I finished it and handed it in, all 8071 words of it. Friday was spent frantically writing the conclusion and the abstract and trying to sort out the fiddly bits. Of course there were the last minute hiccups which turned me into a major stress monkey. I would like to take this time to thank a few people who have been really amazing in a) putting up with me and b) providing practical hands on help.

Alix - who read drafts and provided excellent feedback, and encouragement at the drop of a hat.
My Super - who didn't nag me, despite my being so lame.
The Viking - who was calm and lovely as I fell apart at the seems, and who also proof read and pointed out my lame attempts at bullshitese.

Of course my Boy needs a real Big Up. For the past two weeks he's existed on ready-meals and takeaways and has been patient with me ignoring him. I'm beginning to suspect he's suffering from malnutrition.

And for you, my virtual community who have cheered me on. It's been good to know that in the middle of the night, you guys were about, popping in for a quick coffee and chat.

Now there is no dissertation, I still feel in shock. This weekend I need to find my dinning room table under the books and reams of paper, and a bit of tidy up. I've got a real need to do some cooking.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:59 pm

    Well done! It seems to be a week of things happening you never thought would, because after much a*sing about my school has decided to say I am on target to meet the standards. So now, suddenly, I'm not failing. I was so pleased I gave my whole class a sweetie. The monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:11 pm

    Congrats darling,

    kisses

    Sam & Raven x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:50 am

    Well done...now what are you going to do with all that extra time? Funny...but after a while I think you'll notice that there isn't that much after all...proof perhaps of the theory stating that "the work expands or contracts to meet the time available"? I'd guess the major compensation is the lifting of all that pressure and the lessening of the blood pressure...

    Whatever, well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right then. Third time lucky!

    I have gone to leave a comment for you here three times now! Someone or something clearly doesn't want me to :)

    The first time, I clicked to add a comment (hadn't got as far as typing it), and then my browser crashed.

    Some hours later, I retried again. And I actually typed that one!! And I think the verification image wouldn't load, so I went off to do something else for a bit... But later realised that my comment was no longer in the window, nor had it been added. *sigh* It's so unfair :)

    So, now I've slept in-between, but I'm still feeling sleepy, so I don't feel as cheery-happy-bouncy as I was in the two messages I didn't leave. So, just tone it up a bit for me ;)

    *deep breath.. cheerleader mindset..*

    HUZZAH! :D

    I had been wondering how you'd been doing over the last few days since you'd gone quiet on the subject :)

    EXCELLENT!!! :)

    I bet that between Boy, Viking, and NO DISS! you're going to feel like you're struggling not to break out in a happy dance at every opportunity over the next few weeks ;)

    Hey, are you going to post it here for all of us to critique? 3:)

    I'm sure it would be fun... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent news. Well done! Hope you've done something to reward yourself (other than tidying up).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:05 pm

    Congratulations and well done! Bet you thought you'd never get to the end - what will you do with all this free time? (Apart from clean up and feed the boy some proper food, obviously)...as Sanddancer said hope you found time for a big 'roses treat'...you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Firstly, thanks everyone. Secondly, I've nixed the word verification in the hopes it will sort out the problems people have been having posting comments.

    gertie ~ congrats to you hon, it's been a rough old time for you. Well done you for hanging in there.

    Sam & Raven ~ you sweeties.

    cogidubnus ~ now I've got it out the way, all the other things I've been putting off are demanding their immediate attention.

    Monkfish ~ third time lucky! Haven't had the energy to do a Happy Dance yet. Still feel pretty bleugh.

    Sanddancer & Northern Monkey ~ today I go to be pampered within an inch of my life.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...