Monday, November 20, 2006

Dear Fairy Godperson

Please will wave a magic wand and enable me to get a First, so I can get funding to do an MA in Fine Art. Would you also make it possible that I get accepted onto a course in an art college in London, which will also provide me and Boy with accommodation. I would really appreciate it if you could also provide me with the wherewithal so that I can live and work in London. Hope it's not too much trouble. Thanks very much.

***
What do you think? Do I stand a chance? I didn't think so either, but it will be worth my while having a look at establishments in the capital and exploring the idea of doing the MA part-time. I'm not convinced London is a possibility and I'm not going to get hung up on the idea at the moment. The important thing is that I find the best place to study and that may very well be in the art college here. There is also a great deal of comfort to be had from the Devil you know.

I have started telling people this is what I'd like to do and surprisingly they haven't called the men in white coats yet. In fact, the contrary. They have been very supportive. I still feel like I'm bonkers, but I'm getting used to the change in direction. I do know I want to do the degree part-time, to really give myself a chance to 'experience' the full creative process.

Those of you beginning to worry, please be reassured. I have actually started on my dissertation and have nearly completed my first tranche of notes to be discussed with my Super. This morning over coffee and a chat I was able to talk about some of my ideas for my prose submission and I feel like I've got a better idea about what I'm going to be writing about. I think I'll write several pieces and chose the best one at the end. I'm going to experiment and just have a play with my ideas, something will come through.

Early night tonight. Work tomorrow. Deep joy.

7 comments:

  1. Let me know if he/she gets back to you, I've got a list as long as my arm a'waiting here...

    Otherwise, follow your heart as regards what you want to study further. It's a cliche, but it's a reality, and a key to a happy time on this mortal coil.

    Go for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:18 am

    Glad to hear you're in the panto spirit ;~) Now all you need is a baddie to hiss and boo at.

    My sister paddled around with several ideas when starting her dissertation, before one idea surfaced clearly and felt good.

    So excited about the art direction, i agree with Ing, follow your heart :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would you feel about leaving behind the Number 25 Bus Route between Norwich Railway Station and the University of East Anglia? ;)

    I'm with Ing and Dianne :) Follow your dreams :)

    I'll try asking a Fairy Godperson too...

    Dear Jim,

    Please could you fix it for Roses... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fairy godperson: "Now-then now-then now-then... I have a letter here from a young lady from Norwich..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:37 am

    Ing ~ if/when he/she gets back to me I will be shouting it from the tree tops. You will know. Trust me.

    Dianne ~ I've thought about a baddie to hiss and boo at. Does a credit card count?

    IM ~ I'm not sure at this stage if I can leave Norwich behind yet. There is this sticky point of money. But we'll see. I love being here, it's very comfortable and I can get buy. But London's calling...

    *ducks FGP swinging medallion and avoids cigar*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:56 pm

    An MA sounds like a dandy idea to me. And London is great, most of the time. When it comes to studying it should be about passion anyway - follow your interests and desires! I did and I'm now a useless paddling pool of information on 15th century England. Which is handy with Year 2, I'm sure you'll agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:13 pm

    Gertie ~ I am so sitting next to you in the next pub quiz.

    I suppose I just decided I was too old to start being sensible. I'm not at all disappointed at where my life has taken me. It might be hectic, I might be knackered, but it's all good.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...