Sunday, August 27, 2006

Look Out - Maternal Hormones!

I was okay. I kept it together. I was fine. Until....

Boy and I glammed up for this afternoon's Baby Naming. We got there in time, a bit of an amazement considering we are perpetually late for everything, kissed and hugged everyone in sight. Did I mention we are a tactile bunch of people? The Baby Naming ceremony was brilliant. Baby didn't protest too much at all, smiled loads and was incredibly sweet. We had sparkling wine, fruit cake to die for, more kisses. And then I held him.

*sigh*

He didn't mind me at all. He just chewed on my shoulder, pulled my hair and dribbled a lot (I've had worse dates like that). There is just something about the smell of baby, the soft fuzz on their heads, the wide-eyed wonder when they look at you. I look at my boy now, entering teenager-hood and I think back when he was that age. I no longer see the baby in him. Yes, I still get cuddles, but I think he's going to be an affectionate young man. I remember holding him in my arms and looking at the toddlers in the baby and mothers group and thinking 'how will he get from this, to running around like that?'. Now when I look at him, I realise it won't be long before he's doing his GCSEs and going off to uni. My baby. I wonder if he'll ever realise what a priviledge it's been, being his mum?

Parents have it so hard here. Mums and Dads are expected to work 40+ hour weeks, keep a perfect house, maintain a perfect lifestyle with piano, swimming and taekwondo. Do we really take the time to appreciate our children? Are we ever really given permission to acknowledge what a big deal it is to be a parent?

Maybe I am a complete sap, but to all you parents out there who read this, I raise my glass to you. Good on you!

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...