Sunday, July 02, 2006

Parenthood Perils

I've gave up on the detox last night, when I found a bowl of Thai green curry waiting patiently for me in the fridge. I can honestly say I don't feel any better for it. I'm sure it would have helped if I'd have followed a proper detox plan, so I'm aware that I really shouldn't whinge about it too much. Maybe I'll try again - next year.

Trawling through the on-line papers and blogs, I came across a rather sad story in The Observer. Jennie, a 41 year old woman is looking for a co-parent for her child. Her history is peppered with abuse and failed relationships; and now to make her life complete, she wants a child.

I must admit, I do feel for her. Maternal hormones are sneaky, irrational things. They make you go soft and weepy when you see small babies. Your arms do feel empty. Baby feet just need to be kissed. Having said all of that, personally, I think she's bonkers.

Having a baby by yourself, without proper support from family and sperm donor is seriously hard work. The committment needed to raise a child has to be 100% from both parents; and even with that support, it can be lonely and heartbreaking. And ultimately, why have children when they're going to have to be brought up by professional carers, because you have to go out to work to keep a roof over your head, and food in your mouths? This problem is endemic with two parents, worse for single parent households. Poverty and parenthood go hand in hand. The list against goes on, I've actually pared it down to these few paragraphs.

But it's easy for me to say this, I've had my boy. I don't regret it, ever. And I tell him that I'll be a fabulous grandmama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...