Monday, July 10, 2006

Monday in London

At the crack of dawn (for me), I sped into London courtesy of One Railways and met up with father #3 who had flown in to see a concert given in honour of one of his old chums. It has been a couple of years since we've seen each other and it was good to catch up on news. We exchanged compliments, he's looking well and he says I look well (the sign of a well-trained man 'no dear your bum doesn't look big in that). We had an early lunch and then headed off to The Hayward Gallery. The eagle eyed among you will notice I've included them in my links.

Wow! Where do I start? I'm beginning to think Georges Bataille is the God of all things artistic and if heaven is The Hayward, then I'm moving in tomorrow. The Hayward is this strange terraced type building on the South Bank. The display is called Undercover Surrealism and features works by Picasso, Dali, Picabia and Miro with quotes from Georges Bataille's Documents, as well as some stunning pieces of African and New World Art which influenced the Cubist and Surrealist movements. Father #3 is also an art gallery buff and was very kind as I tried to show off my newly gleaned bits of knowledge. I think I'm falling in love with the London Art Scene, which is a bit scary because a) it's not really the Art Scene, it's just the mainstream stuff and b) I suspect it'll be unrequited and expensive.

The exhibition is open until the end of July and I'm determined to suck up to as many chums in London as I can so I can borrow a piece of floor, to go and see it again. Did I mention that it's half price on Mondays at the Hayward?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, how's it going?

Bank Holiday Sunday

Dear Dave I woke up today with Philip Glass' Metamorphosis in my head. It's apt really as it was part of the music chosen for your...